Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dissapearing Raid

• Please log in to reply

foot

foot

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
A few days ago I installed 2 74gig raptors in a raid 0. All went well and they performed spectacularly. No probs at all.The next evening I booted up and had to reset my clock , the time was lost. Last night when I booted I got thuis message."reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" After investigating I discovered that my nvraid was disabled and my raid drives were also. After re-enabling them the machine performed flawlessly. Is it possible the battery caused this? This machine is less than a year old while I have a 5 yr old machine I have never replaced the battery in. I can't remember which settings the battery is for other than the clock. I wasn't sure but I thought this was a hardware problem,or more than likkely an operator error during the set up of said drives. Bioth drives are brand new.Any help appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When batteries go the BIOS returns to default settings which, as you've found, don't always tally with that you had set before.

When motherboards join the supply & demand chain, there's no way of knowing how long the battery will last. Sometimes they last years, sometimes five minutes. I managed to get nine and a half years out of one on its original battery.

foot

foot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you for the help . I guess I get to take it apart AGAIN this weekend. I just didn't want to believe a battery so new could die so young.oh the tragedy..............