Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Fan no longer works

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hey guys, this afternoon I was trying to lay down for a bit and I noticed that my computer just shut off for no reason.

Few minutes later I went to see why and turned it back on, and me having a see-through case with lights I saw that the CPU fan wasn't spinning and saw the temp readouts on the front of the tower for CPU rising quickly so I shut it off.

I opened up the case and blew the fans out with compressed air and checked the CPU fan's connector to the mobo -- all good. Made sure it was secured and put the case back together.

Fired it up again, and it's still not spinning.

It's a custom heatsink, Arctic Cooler brand i believe on an Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz not sure of the socket off-hand.

Is there anyway to fix this or is the fan shot and I need a new one?

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does it look like one of these?

For 478 CPU's
http://www.directron.com/acss4utc.html

For 775 cpu's
http://www.directron.com/alpine7.html

And at those prices you might as well just buy the whole thing and just change out the fans. Any regular fand is going th cost you $5 so you might as well buy the correct fan.

SRX660

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
i just opened it up again and saw there was a label on the far side it says Vantec AeroFlow

I was looking at a Thermaltake P4 Spark 7+ from Newegg though they're out of it, I'm gonna look elsewhere if that's a good choice.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the looks of the vantec aeroflow heatsinks you could prrobably just buy a 60 or 70 MM case fan and replace the one on the heatsink.

http://www.directron.com/casefans.html

SRX660

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
probably could do that but luckily I had a few AMEX giftcards laying around from the holidays and I picked up that thermaltake sink with a tube of arctic silver 5.

Perhaps it failing was a sign that my CPU needed better heat managing since it seems like it gets very hot when I'm playing world of warcraft. Let's hope that my GPU holds out until the summer when I get a new rig.

Thank you for the input.