Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

make computer standby when on login screen

• Please log in to reply

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is there any way to do this? Because when you log out, the computer will sit endlessly at the login screen even if your accounts have it set to standby. Is there some way to make it do this with a 'master' account for power options?

I am tired of my kids leaving the computers on all day because they don't know that when they log out, the computer stays on.

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I don't think you can make the power-saving settings execute while the PC is at the log-in screen, but you can set it up so it goes into 'standby' or 'hibernate' when you press the power button. Look at the advanced settings in Control Pane->Power Settings "When I press the power button" and select the required option from the dropdown. Then perhaps you could get your kids to press the power button after logging off?

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
That oculd be a problem. They are very young and don't remember to do things like that.

There is absolutely no way to do it?

Stupid Windows XP. Why must it suck so much.

JimmyJordanPlatt34

JimmyJordanPlatt34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am more concerned about the heat it gives off (which is a lot) then the energy it uses (which is hardly noticeable on the bill). I don't want to use the AC more often because the computer is acting like a heated in the living room.

So there is absolutely no way for this stupid operating system to put itself on standby when no account is on?