Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another hall.dll problem

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me have a peek at the boot.ini file. Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Advertisements

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Windows XP Windows Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Windows Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\FOUND.000\DIR0000.CHK="Windows XP Windows Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Windows Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I see 3 installs of Windows there and something else that just isn't right. You should be getting a prompt when you start the machine asking which operating system you want to start. Try booting to each of them by selecting them at the prompt...no need to try to start the one listed as "FOUND.000\DIR0000.CHK="Windows XP Windows Media Center Edition"...we'll get rid of that one in a bit.

Let me know if any of the other operating systems will start up normally.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
The Windows0 starts normally,
the other ones go to a setup.

One of them should be my first attempt to parallel install the system when it didn't ask me for a new folder [or I didn't hit the ESC fast enough] and started copying files... I terminated this and tried again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's pretty tough to get out of a setup loop... :whistling:

The way things stand, you have a good operating system and you should have been able to recover your data. I would suggest that you keep this one and remove the others. You'll need to reinstall the drivers for much of your hardware and any applications you had installed on the other Windows installation.

If you wish to do this, we can edit the boot.ini to stop asking which os to start and get about cleaning things up a bit.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
When I start the Windows0, I am also able to look at the "old" Windows folder. There is no way to get it running again?

I started burning all the recovered data on CD's, so that I'll have a backup.
I had Firefox/Thunderbird installed - do I have to install these again?
What about my bookmarks from the Firefox Browser? Will I be able to get them back?

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
UPDATE:

Seriously, my computer is starting to freak me out.

After I burned my first CD of data, while burning the second CD I got a blue screen. Restarted. Burned again... same thing happened.

Next, I try to reboot into the Windows0 OS and get a black screen saying "HDD hard error".

Tried F1 twice. Nothing.

Tried to reboot a third time. I am able to boot up again to the new Windows0.

What is going on?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This is starting to sound like a bad HDD. Have you recovered all your data and saved it to removable media?

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I ordered an external hard drive to save my data and then will get back with DELL. because I still have warranty.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Do you think the hard drive has to be replaced or should I just try to reformat it?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Between work and house guests, I haven't had much time online.

It's really hard to say what's wrong with the HDD. It may be able to take a format and that is certainly worth a try, but a HDD Hard Error is indicative of a more serious failure. As long is it is still under warranty, I would see if they will replace it for you.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
no need to apologize. i appreciate your help.

thanks for the advice. i'll get in touch with DELL and see what they'll do.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
wannabe1... did you know if there was any way out of the setup loop of the original OS?