Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

undeleteable file

• Please log in to reply

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
A while back I was working with the Java sdk Eclipse and I was trying to load a file made on another computer. This ended up creating an entire hierarchy of folders recursivly embedded with the same folder. I was able to delete all the files contained in all of these folders except in the very last one (I had terminated the process as it was creating these files because it was obvious that there was an issue going on). When I try to access the files in that last folder I get the message "Cannot access this folder Path is too long" When I try to delete them I first get the error "Contains items whose name is too long for the Recycle Bin" and I click yes for permanently delete I get the error "Cannot delete Assign~1: the file name you specified is not valid or too long."

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried to rename the file

right click on the file and click on rename

name it any thing

call it delete

download unlocker
install it
then right click on the file
click unlocker
on drop menu select delete click ok or kill process

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Edited by rushin1nd, 30 January 2007 - 10:54 PM.

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
well I tried that unlocker, it said the item was deleted....it wasn't. I've already gone through it and deleted everything I could so all that was left was what couldn't be accessed. So I renamed all the folders 'a', the shortest possible name I know that would be accepted, then when I reached a point where I couldn't go any further I used Unlocker to move the remaining folder to the root folder (it worked for that purpose) and deleted all the folders left in the original tree, then I attacked the folder I had moved in the same style. Eventually I was able to get to a point where I could delete the whole thing. Problem solved, thanks for the tip.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
glad it worked

your welcome