Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply

ms_emmy

ms_emmy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My son took my old computer and went to Fry's and the saleman sold him a new motherboard,CPU,memory and power supply. The problem is that the computer just randomly shuts itself off.It is getting worse as it is only running for a shorter and shorter while before shutting down.No idea what to do.
The motherboard and CPU were a package deal:
The CPU is Pent D 945Bx/P4M800PROV2 3.4 GHz
The Motherboard is ESC P4M800 Pro V2 C2D 775
The memory is DDR2 512 MB 533 MHz
and I am unsure what the power supply is but the salesman said is was more then he needed.
PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
hi ms_emmy,

Did he do a full(new) install of the OS?
Did he load the mainboard driver CD?

ms_emmy

ms_emmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes he did a full new install of Windows XP Pro
Yes he did load the cd that came with the motherboard
Thank You for ypur help

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ut oh... it shuts off?

Looks like we got overheating..

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

ms_emmy

ms_emmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok will try to get ahold of him and tell him to do that.But it will shut off right after he cuts it on sometimes.Could that still mean overheating if it cuts off only 1 or 2 minutes after it is ct on?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Possibly.. any case fans installed?

ms_emmy

ms_emmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I just called him and he said it restarts not shuts down.Does that make a difference.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Big Difference. Do the procedure below:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

ms_emmy

ms_emmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you so much and sorry for the misinformation. He is going to give that a try.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No problem... I am here to help and we will get this bug sorted out so we can have you up and surfing and no time :whistling:

ms_emmy

ms_emmy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
He did exactely what you said, automatically restart was checked and he unchecked but he did not get a BSOD error when he restarted