Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CA Internet Security

• Please log in to reply

brockrog

brockrog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently installed CA internet security suite 2007. Since then, I get a couple of different messages popping up when starting up and shutting down.

At startup I get a Windows Installer box with the message: "Preparing to install..." It doesn't say what it is preparing to install.

Also at startup and shut down I get a CA Firewall box with the message:

"The feature you are trying to install is on a network resource that is not available." It provides the following path: C:\Docume~1\owner\Locals~1\temp\_is1F.

My options are to chose a new path, try again, or cancel. I usually click cancel.

I attempted to uninstall CA Internet Security Suite 2007 through Add/Remove Programs, but I got the same message and was unable to uninstall. I contacted CA and they walked me through a manual uninstall, which seemed to work. Everything was back to normal.

I then purchase Norton Internet Security 2007 and the same thing is happening. It appears to be looking for files left over from CA Internet Security.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these messages?

Advertisements

brockrog

brockrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently installed CA internet security suite 2007. Since then, I get a couple of different messages popping up when starting up and shutting down.

At startup I get a Windows Installer box with the message: "Preparing to install..." It doesn't say what it is preparing to install.

Also at startup and shut down I get a CA Firewall box with the message:

"The feature you are trying to install is on a network resource that is not available." It provides the following path: C:\Docume~1\owner\Locals~1\temp\_is1F.

My options are to chose a new path, try again, or cancel. I usually click cancel.

I attempted to uninstall CA Internet Security Suite 2007 through Add/Remove Programs, but I got the same message and was unable to uninstall. I contacted CA and they walked me through a manual uninstall, which seemed to work. Everything was back to normal.

I then purchase Norton Internet Security 2007 and the same thing is happening. It appears to be looking for files left over from CA Internet Security.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of these messages?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
When you first installed CA internet security
did you interrupt the install
did you remove or try to cancel the software installation
do you have the software cd for CA INTERNET SECURITY

Shut down computer and turn it back on Tap F8 to get to safemode
When your options show choose safemode
give it a few minutes an once your there go to add/remove programs
remove CA INTERNET SECURITY
then go to program files by clicking my computer and opening cdrive
look for CA INTERNET SECURITY folder if you see it right click and delete

restart your computer windows should start normally

did it uninstall

brockrog

brockrog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did get the feeling that I somehow interrupted the installation process. I do have the cd for the CA software.

CA walked me through a manual uninstall, so the software is not listed in the the Add/Remove Programs list. There is a CA subfolder in the program files folder. All CA files here were removed with the excpeption of avshlext.dll. I get a mesaage saying, "cannot delete. Access denied." CA's instructions on the manual uninstall said this may happen and if so, just leave it.

Perhaps I will try to reinstall CA, but I think I tried that a couple of days ago before getting the Norton.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
before you run the install again

but before you do do this first

From Start..Run.. Type in ..prefetch..Click ok..

Then go to edit..Select all

on any blue file click delete

Confirm delete

Then fron Start
All programs
Accessories
system tools
disk clean-up
click on that
run disk cleanup
click ok then click yes

did you check on the firewall you mentioned

C:\Docume~1\owner\Locals~1\temp\_is1F

right click on start menu...click explore...click local settings..then the temp folder
the firewall you mentioned should be there
delete it
then go back and delete...avshlext.dll. I get a mesaage saying, "cannot delete. Access denied."

then try to install CA INTERNET SECURITY

dont interrupt the installation

Edited by rushin1nd, 31 January 2007 - 01:22 PM.