Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wiring assistance.

• Please log in to reply

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
09- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-4th Feb-2007

After reviewing your Posts – Here are some Upgrade Notes to consider –

THe wires coming out of the power supply only has a 20-pin connector, and on the motherboard, there is only a connecting head for a 20-pin connector.

(1) –
Looking at your Motherboard – It has a [4-Pin – 12V ATX Power Receptacle] provided – for your Processor
(See Thumbnail Attachments –) Located at Top - Left section of Motherboard next to CPU Socket - [EDIT NOTE]

Now your Supply should have either –

(1)- 12V ATX Power Plug – See Thumbnail Attachments –
(2)- 12V ATX Power Adapter Plug – (This may be supplied with your Motherboard)

The issue is not – Whether or not if your Supply has sufficient 12V Power for this CPU – but – That the 20 Pin ATX Power Connector is not –Safely rated for the Additional Wattage –

(2) –
You did not mention anything about – Video Processor Upgrade – If & when you do decide on a Video Update – You will run into

(1) Power Issue - Whether 450 Watts is – Peak or Average – [Edit Note]
(2) Connectivity Issues – which the Video Card should cover –

(3) -
You should browse thru the – System Building & Upgrading Forum – for help also – for items like Overclocking - Initial Booting – Upgrading BIOS – Troubleshooting – EDIT NOTE -

Jack123

Motherboard Attachment - 01_MSIK8T_Neo_V_Motherboard.jpg

12V ATX Connector Attachment - 01_12V_ATX_Motherboard_Receptacle.jpg

12V-ATX Power Adapter Cable Attachment -01_12V_ATX_Power_Adaapter_Plug.jpg

Edited by Jack123, 04 February 2007 - 10:44 AM.

Advertisements

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Actually I didn't notice this until now, I don't know why sorry. But connected to the 20-pin power supply is a 4-pin connector that is green.

So other that the 20-pin, there is a 4-pin coming out of the group of wires, but in a separate connector head. And the 4-pin receptacle you were talking about, I have used that for my fan over my processor.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
10- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-4th Feb-2007

So other that the 20-pin, there is a 4-pin coming out of the group of wires, but in a separate connector head. And the 4-pin receptacle you were talking about, I have used that for my fan over my processor.

What are you saying?? – You are using the 4-Pin – 12 Volt ATX Adapter Cable – To power the CPU Fan – by using the Motherboard 4-Pin Receptacle & the Fan is connected to the Larger 4-Pin Connector of the Adapter Cable?? –

01_12V_ATX_Power_Adaapter_Plug.jpg

I don’t think you should do that!! – Pins 10 & 20 will exceed the Total Wattage Limit & will overheat & eventually short out pins 10 & 20 – The additional pins are required to distribute the total wattage within the recommended value –
This means that if you do not use the additional pins provided – The 20 pin connector will fail & burn the Motherboard at pins 10 & 20.
The PC will function with only the 20-pin Connector, but eventually will cause the Motherboard to – Prematurely Fail – with – Spectacular Noticeable Effects – Playing the High Performance Games for hours & hours would definitely give you some interesting side effects someday -

The purpose of the extra pins is to spread the – 5 Volt Load – 12 Volt Load & 3.3 Volt Load over a larger area – Keep in mind that the total area that is absorbing this heat - is the length & diameter of the Pins being used –
Notice that the high amperage pins are at the top & bottom of the connector – so there is more airflow to dissipate the heat – There is – Design Engineering – required to develop a Wiring Harness –

You should also note that the – Larger the Supply – The more Connectors are available to use – So when you are upgrading with additional peripherals – And run out of Connectors – That is your Canary Warning that you are probably overloading the Supply - And when that occurs – It also means you should upgrade/improve the – Cooling System and improve the Airflow –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 04 February 2007 - 10:37 PM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
No I'm not using the adapter cable for the fan. My processor came with a fan. And on my old motherboard, the processor's fan went in the same spot. So I plugged in the fan's cable into that area. My motherboard didn't come with another cable as the one you are talking about.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
11- Lambert Nguyen[Wiring Problem]-5th Feb-2007

Here are Thumbnails of Motherboard – 4 PIN ATX-12V CPU Power Connector & The Mini FAN – Speed Control Connectors –

JPW1 is for the CPU Processor 12 Volt Power – This is the 4-Pin Power Connector describe in my –10th Post -
This is not a FAN Power Connector - It is an 12-Volt @ 18-AMP CPU Power Input Connector - It is a - Parallel 12 Volt Power Connection to the 20 Pin ATX Power Connector to [Pin-10] - Pin 10 cannot handle the 18 AMP 12 Volt Power without overheating - As Pin 19 & 20 are handling 5 Volts @ 25 AMPS -

The following are the 3-PIN MINI FAN CONNECTORS ON MOTHERBOARD
CFAN1 is CPU FAN POWER
CHFAN1 is for Chassis Fan Power
PFAN1 is for Power Fan Power -

Jack123

01_Mini_FAN_Connector.jpg

02_FAN_PWR.jpg

01_FAN_PWR.jpg

Edited by Jack123, 05 February 2007 - 04:48 PM.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Oh wow, do I feel like a noob. The CPU fan's has a different connector than that 4-pin you were talking about. My fan's wire is connected into the right place. The 4-pin receptacle is connected with wires coming from power supply. I just looked into my case without taking off a side, and that is why i mixed up, sorry Jack123.