Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hey guys,

I have always kept up-to-date with windows updates until now. I try to update windows and it will download and install fine. BUT, when ever I go to start windows again it will freeze at the boot menu. I will have to restart and start in safe mode ans UNINSTALL ALL RECENT UPDATES just to get it working.

Any help will be Greatly Appreciated! :whistling:

JaZzA!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might read this website on it.

http://www.askdaveta...l_the_time.html

SRX660

Jazza

Jazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks i think it might solve it but i dont like editing boot.ini as i have lost my recovery Cds.

Edited by Jazza, 01 February 2007 - 05:03 AM.

Jazza

Jazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
OK, well that didn't work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I have a direct answer to that but I have a feeling that there is one update which causes the problem. I would try to identify andf remove it. I would write a note with all the lattest updates. Then I would remove them one at a time from Add/remove program until I hit the one which causes the problem. Then I would download the "good" updates manually from microsoft and install them.

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Try removing KB 928090 this one seems to affect IE7 and other things.

Jazza

Jazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks, but Skeptic I have uninstalled all recent updates one by one to see if it was one update but no luck. and Malcolm thanks anyway it seems to be all updates freeze my computer at the boot screen. (Windows XP is loading bit)

Jazza

Jazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Anyone with help.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Try omitting KB929338 in the update list. Install the rest. Also how much free space in on your hard drive? You do have SP2 installed and your XP version has passed WGA, correct?