Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't dialup

• Please log in to reply

lindyx

lindyx

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Dell, XP, 2.8ghz, 512mb ram, 100gb HD

A friend of mine got this machine used and I installed AOL 9.0 and it connects fine on my DSL connection but it will not on her dial up connection.
I have talked to aol tech many times. and they have concluded that their software is installed OK and the trouble might be a firewall (I have disabled windows firewall), a virus or the modem (which I have changed once).
The installation downloaded the local access numbers OK and dials (step 1), Handshakes (step 2), initializes (step 3),talks to network (step 4) and (step 5) but then gives an error message saying It was unable to make an internet connection.
Please help anyone. joe

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Easy solution is to get rid of AOL. Problem sorted.

But anyway, the fact that it's handshaking in the first place means its dialling, and getting through to AOL. Therefore the issue is either the username is wrong, the account is invalid or there is an AOL problem.