Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unallocation

• Please log in to reply

RHC

RHC

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a 2nd. disk which is a 160gb. I can see where 31.49 gb is allocated. Nothing else is there. How can I get it back to the 160 GB. Need help.

RHC

Edited by RHC, 01 February 2007 - 12:48 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Rip all the Partitions out.
Then make a new partition. By default Windows allocates the entire disk to this new partition.

RHC

RHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Neil,
Is there a special way I can do this without interfering with my os.

Bob

Edited by RHC, 01 February 2007 - 06:25 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Download this program, then install it and get the activation numbers for it. Read the help files very carefully and you can make the second drive all one single partition and probably not lose any data from the partitions.

http://www.vnunet.co...on-manager-2005

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
RHC, You probably need to check that the hard drive is jumpered to limit the size to 32 gigs.

Posted Image

This shows the jumper to limit the drive to 32 gigs with the jumper on the 1 and 2 pins. Does your hard drive have such a jumper. I also have the jumper setting for Maxtor if you need it. Western Digital did not have this setting on their drives.

Another thing that may be causing this on your computer is that your Win XP was installed on a FAT 32 partition. If this is true you need to switch your XP over to the ntfs file system.

http://www.practical...xpfattontfs.htm

Without switching the computer to ntfs, it will never be able to create a full 160 G drive. Althought XP was limited by microsoft the SP2 update fixed this problem. Even then any FAT 32 file system is limited to 127 gigs for any one partition.

You can do a right click/properties on each drive in Windows explorer to see if the partition is fat32 or ntfs.

Let me know what you find so we can get your drive back to the 160 gigs. Of course you know that the drive can only be formatted to around154 gigs. This is because drive makers use 1,000,000 for a Gig, while microsoft uses 1,073,741,824. Plus there is formatting and drive identification that takes up space.

SRX660

RHC

RHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
srx660,
My C: is strapped for a master.
The other drive which will be a D: has no straps. I used that partition Manager but could get no results. I just can't get the disk back to normal. Appreciate your hangin in there with me.

RHC

Edited by RHC, 04 February 2007 - 08:18 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I need more information to continue with this thread. What kind of drive is this(manufacturer)? You still have not told me your file system on your computer. Go into windows explore and right click on your drive and see if it is a FAT32 or a NTFS file system on the drives. What does it say in the Disk management section of your computer management? Does it show a unallocated space in the "D" drive there? Can you format that unallocated space in disk management?

You want me to help you but you do not want to give me information to know in what direction you need to go in. Please help me help you.

SRX660

RHC

RHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there someway I can send you a file. It will show exactly what I have.

Edited by RHC, 05 February 2007 - 06:02 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
OK, i did get your PPT file.

When you go into disk management you can see the 2 partitions on the "D" drive. You will start up the partition manager and if you read the help files carefully you should be able to combine the 2 partitions into a single partition. If you cannot seem to do this use the partition manager to delete the partitions off the "D" drive so there are no more partitions at all. Then you should have a large unallocated space. Now, you should be able to go into disk management in windows and partition the drive as one large partition.

SRX660

RHC

RHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
THX SRX,
OK that seemed to work. Now I can move on. I appreciate all your help.
Now it makes sense to me. Now I have more GB's to play with. We can close this thread.
Speedo