Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Saver closing programs

• Please log in to reply

rcandv

rcandv

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running Windows XP and when I go back to working on my computer after the screen saver has been on for awhile, some of my programs, if not all of them will close. If I have a document open that needs to be saved before closing, it will ask if I want to save which then I can cancel out and continue working, but any other programs, i.e. interent explorer, e-mail client, etc. will just close.

Has anyone had this problem and no how to correct it?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Screen savers are a oxymoron for new computers. I would rather have the computer shut the screen down than run a screen saver. You can have the screen shut off by the bios or by windows power management. I will cure your problem.

SRX660

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
If I may add - watch out for downloading screensavers over the internet, a lot of them come with malware, and you may not know it. I, myself do not download screensavers to avoid getting malware from screensavers. A lot of screensavers are safe, but certain websites have malware in their products, like "My Freeze" screensavers, I had a bad experience with last year, because I wasn't careful about where I got my screensavers from, now I do not care for screensavers, I just use a standard Windows XP screensaver.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 01 February 2007 - 08:27 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
As srx660 mentioned, modern screens don't really need "Saving." Unless your desktop wallpaper has something like a sunrise with one real bright spot and you never change it, it will not be a problem to turn the screensaver off. Control Panel>Display>Screensaver tab. There is a small dropdown menu box-select "none." <Apply> <OK> I like my personal wallpaper better, anyway.