Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

drkfire2340

drkfire2340

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling: im new to the forum. i need help my pc keeps getting this "windows did not start successfully" error and gives me some choices. which ever i choose it restarts my computer and it happens once again. i really need help please i have a report due.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo

probably a corrupted boot sequence, suggest doing a repair with cd

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

please post back if no joy

samm1

samm1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well I had similar problems and selecting the repairing option from the Windows CD did not rectify things. As already it is understood all the other options that could be considered proved vain. I even replaced my CMOS battery. Later I formatted the hard drive and things went on fine for a week or so only to return again. Later it was identified as a problem of the motherboard. Now my question is how do geeks get to know what the exact problem is?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
trial and error, for example

dead computer check list
meaning no reaction whatsoever when pressing the on button
btw ditto = 'connect computer to the mains, switch the computer on, if no joy do the following'

the steps then
(use normal keyboard and mouse)
(important, if unsure, download and read the motherboard's manual)
- check that the plug on the wall is switch on and the computer's powersupply cable is plugged in
(ditto)
- powersupply, disconnect power supply cable from the computer the reconnect it,
(ditto)
- swap the power supply cable for another
(ditto)
- open computer and swap the power switch or disconnect it and jump the pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver, the jump takes a split second to do
(ditto)
- reseat the ram bars, swap with working ones
(ditto)
- disconnect cdrom drives, usb stuff, etc., only leave harddrive connected
(ditto)
- swap hard drive
(ditto)
that leaves only the motherboard or the processor and the question of which, and whether it's worth getting new ones