Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply

jqs27

jqs27

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
My computer is getting slower and slower day after day. I do disk clean up, deframentation, delete all internet cookies, files and history but despite all this it keeps being slower and slower. It takes me about 4 minutes between switching the laptop on and connecting to the net. Can you help -

Cheers

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Get a user friendly start-up manager like WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/ Use it to stop everything that is not completely necessary from starting with Windows. Your programs will all remain available from All Programs and the shortcuts. Many programs run auto-update processes in the background all the time. Not necessary. Once a week(or month) go through and update everything manually. I leave auto-update on only for anti-virus and anti-spyware. The rest are not critical.

Become familiar with the names of you processes. Check them out here: http://www.processlibrary.com/ And here: http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/

Use Sysinternals free Process Explorer to help: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx (download link at bottom of page) A mouse-over the svchost processes will show which "Services" are running under that instance. Services can be controlled from Administrative Tools in the Start Menu or All Programs. (may be enabled from "Start" Properties) For information on how to set "Services" in XP see: www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm "Manual" is the safe setting. Stops it from starting with Windows, but keeps it avalable if needed.

If you find ctfmon.exe running, see my post for more information and how to turn it off: http://www.annoyance...nxp/t1167888467

All the above assumes that your system is free from malware. I suggest a periodic on-line scan for assurance: http://www.google.co...&...-8&oe=utf-8

Good luck, and please post back with your progress.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Time to use your "runbox" to clean your computer,
(all these steps are done with the run box then)

deleting the prefetch files
-----------------------------
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: prefetch
- press: enter
(the prefetch folder opens)
- press: ctrl + a
(select all is the same)
- press: shift + del
(deletes without prompt)

disc clean up
---------------
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons:winkey + r
- paste: cleanmgr.exe
- choose drive(normally C: )
(this process can take a long time)

checkdisk
------------
runbox command
- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: chkdsk /f /r
( black window appears)
- press: Y button
- reboot the comp
(this process is the longest, worse the screen may be
lost before hours later the computer arrives at the welcome screen)

disc defragmenter
----------------------
runbox command
- paste in the slot: dfrg.msc
- press enter
(this process can take a long time)

deleting internet cookies, files and history
-------------------------------------------------
- paste in the slot: inetcpl.cpl
- click: delete cookies
- click: delete file
- click: clear history

disable unwanted startups
------------------------------
runbox command
- press: winkey + r
- paste: msconfig
- click tab: start ups
- keep: the AV and firewall entriies enabled,
- disable: 100% unused or unneeded entries
- Unsure about the start up: http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/
(IMPORTANT: enable all startups before running the Hijackthis program)

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
jqs27- I strongly urge you not to clear your prefetch. This will only slow things down further:
http://mywebpages.co...CD/XPMyths.html Also HiJackThis lists everthing-good and bad- and is difficult to read. Mostly used to diagnose and help correct malware programs. Much simpler(and less dangerous) tools to use first.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might want to read how WinXP actually handles Prefetching and why it doesn't make any difference in most cases.

One more time: do not clean out your Prefetch folder!

Ron

jqs27

jqs27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks to all for trying to help. Despite what I have done (see list) my computer is still quite slow even if there is a slight improvement> I did:
1/ Adaware and Spybot that came back clean
2/ Run CCleaner that enabled me to get rid of quite a lot of junk files
3/Used winpatrol as suggested to limit the number of programs at start-up. Not sure what I am suppose to do with the other items (IE helpers, services, etc....). Should I do anything there
4/Not sure what I am suppose to do with process explorer when I have the list
5/I turned off ctfmon.exe which is probably, out of all the steps I did, the one that did make an improvement
6/Used the ''runbox'' as suggested by fleamailman and did get rid of the preftech files (got the other mails too late). How bad is this ?

After doing all that and reinitializing as I said it is still quite slow. On top of this I might be running into an issue that might not be XP related. When I click on my AOL icon it takes forever to come up. On one hand it could be AOL but on the other it' s the same program I've been using for months and it use to be much quicker. I've tried to find somekind of AOL hotline or forum but to be fair most of it looks llike garbage compared to Geeks to go. Thank you for advising on the next steps I should do

Cheers

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

you can check to make sure you do not have any hardware issues.
Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

cheers...xxx1

jqs27

jqs27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi XXX1 and thanks for getting back to me

Did what you said. The only thing coming back yellow is a folder named Other devices and one of its subfolders called Targus Group Intl. All the rest is fine

Cheers

jqs27

jqs27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Could anyone give me some advice to see what I should now do to solve my problem
Thanks all

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
clearing out the prefetch deletes any orphans that might be there, since after three reboots your prefetch is back to normal what is the loss, where clearly if there are orphans the loss is greater than never doing it.

http://www.kickenhar...hlight=prefetch

three reboots is worth it(this is an old link but...)
http://www.geekstogo...mp;hl=duncehead

also please do a simple search on this site under prefetch, I think it will speak for itself

Edited by fleamailman, 02 February 2007 - 08:13 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Don't overly worry about clearing the prefetch. Windows will rebuild it. But since you were looking to improve performance, it will be a while before it becomes noticiable, especially when it comes to starting your programs. Just give Windows time to call up a program when you request it. May take Minutes as opposed to seconds. It will become quicker and quicker usually on or after the third time you call on that program. With Process Explorer configure the display to have (at least) columns for CPU and CPU Time along with the name of the process. Clicking on the column header will sort the processes. I like it sorted by CPU Time. That way the processes that have been/are most active will be at or near the top. Check out the processes at the sites I linked to get an understanding of what does what. If you click on the column header for processes, it toggles back and forth between regular and "Tree" view. Take a look at the tree to see which processes belong together. When you find processes that are running that you don't think you need, after checking them out track down their parent programs and get them under control. Read the stuff about Services that I linked. As a starting place I suggest setting all to XP default. After that you can begin to trim them down some more one at a time as you discover that they are unneeded. Remember, this is not a do-it-once-and-it's-done thing. You are begining the learning curve of keeping your computer under your own personal control. It probably seems steep right now, but if you keep learning you will be rewarded with a system that is responsive and responsive to your preferences. Remember-It's YOUR computer, not Windows'!

jqs27

jqs27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks doc, I will go through ''the painful'' process. I' m just always concerned of getting rid of something I really need. The Svchost.exe ''family'' is a nightmare. Which ones do you get rid off

On top of this I do believe that the AOL software is just so [bleep] slow !

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Thanks doc, I will go through ''the painful'' process. I' m just always concerned of getting rid of something I really need. The Svchost.exe ''family'' is a nightmare. Which ones do you get rid off

On top of this I do believe that the AOL software is just so [bleep] slow !

I highly recommend never using AOL. I've used it before, and trust me I much prefer Broadband over AOL (Narrowband) any day. Not just because of the high speed of Broadband, but AOL in general was never good. If you absolutely cannot get Broadband speed for any reason, at least get a different ISP. Maybe Net Zero or something.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 03 February 2007 - 04:14 AM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
This is the link for info on the "Services" that run under svchost: http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

jqs27

jqs27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks to all of you for your precious help