Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pcAnywhere V12 issue

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I'm not sure if this is a pcAnywhere problem or a Windows problem. Hopefully, someone will know how to solve it, because it is really driving me crazy.

I've only noticed this problem since upgrading to v12 (from v11.5). This doesn't happen everytime, but maybe 50% of the time, when I am logged into a computer with pcAnywhere, and I click on File Transfer.

Instead of bringing up the file transfer window, the pcAnywhere window will just go white (though the title bar and file menu are still there, the contents of the window are white). It won't let me log off or X out of pcAnywhere.

If I then log into the host computer using another application (LogMeIn), I see there is an error window on the host computer that says:

"PROGRAM ERROR

X An unexpected error has occurred in "Awhost32.exe"
Information about this error has been saved in "C:\Program Files\Symantec\PCAnywhere\Awhost32.dmp"
For more information on solving this problem, please check the PCAnywhere knowledge base at [url="http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/pca/kbase_pca.html""]http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/pca/kbase_pca.html"[/url]

I've gone to the above website, but can't find any information to help. I've also searched Yahoo for the error message, but can't find the exact phrase anywhere.

This only seems to happen between 3 computers: my work, my home, and my laptop. And it doesn't matter which is the host and which is the remote, it still happens about 50% of the time.

PCAnywhere and Windows XP is fully updates on all three computers. And another note: when I use pcAnywhere to connect to these computers from the other, I am connected through the Internet, not through a phone line.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application on all computers, but still experience the problem.

Something else about it that I think it weird: it NEVER happens twice in a row. Meaning if it happened and I log into the host using LogMeIn to reset the host and then log in again using pcAnywhere, going into File Tranfer will always work properly.

Please help!

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Well I found this

it's not much help. Sounds like the issue has been around for a while or at least reintroduced. I would try making sure that your video resolution is set the same between the 3 systems. try updating your video drivers on all 3 systems. also try reducing the colors as suggested. Try one step at a time and see what happens.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Starjax,

It didn't even occurr to me that the problem could be related to the video card. I followed your suggestion and updated both video drivers. I logged into pcAnywhere and clicked on file tranfer 5 times so far with no problems. I'll let you know if the problem reoccurrs.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

mike.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
After dealing with this problem for almost a year, it's finally been solved!!! When I followed StarJax's suggestion, the problem seemed to go away for a couple days, but then it came back again.

Finally, it dawned on me that the only thing that the two problem computers had in common that wasn't on any of the other computers I didn't have a problem with was LogMeIn. I uninstalled that on both problem systems, and have not had a repeat of the problem for almost a month now.