Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OE: Proper way to transfer identities/profiles/folders/emails between

• Please log in to reply

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi,

I have a Windows 98SE machine that I use Outlook Express on. I am getting a new laptop with XP on it and will no longer be using the 98SE machine. I will also be using OE on the laptop. I need to transfer *all* my email stuff from one machine to the other and have it all set up on the new machine in OE just like it is now on my old machine.

I want to transfer over my mailboxes/folders, all my emails (with their attachments intact), as well as all my different mail accounts and their passwords and info, etc. (I have several, some are checking separate email accounts, some are dummies that exist so I can have a variety of names/addresses to send emails from in that drop-down "From" bar on emails).

What is the best way to get all that stuff over there and set-up exactly the same way? (I've seen some info on transferring emails, but not really mail accounts themselves and all that.)

I also have two separate identities in OE (one for my wife, one for me) that I want to transfer over as well (so all the above is for my identity). On the laptop, I plan on setting up two separate accounts/log-ons. So how do I make sure the two separate identities are transferred over intact, then also make it so each one opens in OE corresponding to whoever's logged-on?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Maybe this will be of help:

Transferring from the old to the new

This is a good site that covers a lot about Email and Outlook Express:

About.com Probably gives more than you want to know.

Ron

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Maybe this will be of help:

Transferring from the old to the new

This is a good site that covers a lot about Email and Outlook Express:

About.com Probably gives more than you want to know.

Ron

Thanks for the post. I might be looking at it wrong, but it only tells you programs you can buy at that link to do the job. I was looking for info on how to do it manually myself.

I found this link elsewhere though: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/

Edited by bloomcounty, 02 February 2007 - 04:10 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at Microsoft article 270670. It gives instructions for backing up your OE data and reimporting it.

Please post the results.

bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Look at Microsoft article 270670. It gives instructions for backing up your OE data and reimporting it.

Please post the results.

I exported and imported my identities and address books (using csv for address books), and just copied and pasted my folder .dbx files into the same folder on the new computer.