Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creating a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Scorpion5427

Scorpion5427

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello my problem is I am trying to set a wireless network for a company I work for. There is 3 buildings that have to be networked. Running a cable is not a possiblity since it would require ripping up a parting lot. I have brought in a wireless router from home and I am able to get at least 2 bars from main building to the second building with my laptop. We currently have a dsl modem (non wireless), a Ethernet broadband router (dlink - no wireless), and probally 10 computers.

I don't know if I am on the right track but I was thinking I need one access point at the main building, and either a wireless router at each other building, or a access point at the second building also and a wireless router to the third.

Any help would be great. THanks

Advertisements

Phil

Phil

IRC Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 21 posts
Hmmm. You'd really need fiber running between the buildings since it's reliable, has a large bandwidth, and is unaffected by weather.

However, since you say this is impossible I feel your best option is to have a main access point in building 1 with a range extender in building 2 connected to the one in building 1. You'd also need a range extender in building 3 connected to building 2.

You could get some high gain antennas (possibly on the roof of building 1) which will allow access from all buildings since piggybacking wireless is kinda inefficient.

~Phil~

Scorpion5427

Scorpion5427

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info. I was also wondering is there anyway I could just put a D-Link / DI-634M / 108Mbps / 802.11g / 4-Port / Cable/DSL / Wireless Router with MIMO 2XR Technology in each of the buildings and it work or do I have to use a access point in the main building, extender in the second and router in the third.

Phil

Phil

IRC Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 21 posts
You said you can't run cables between the buildings therefore there is no way to actually connect the points. If you don't care about the PCs in each building being able to talk to eachother or any centralised servers then you could run 3 different networks, 1 for each building.

~Phil~

Scorpion5427

Scorpion5427

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again. Sorry my last post wasn't to clear on what I was trying to ask. I have to connect the 3 buildings via wireless (no possibility of hardwiring since there is a parking lot in between buildings). And I got your message saying I needed a AP at building one, a extender at building 2, and a router or possibly a extender at building 3. Ok I'm not positive on is how the wireless works but my question is instead of using the listed equipment above can I use a wireless router at each location or will the wireless routers not talk to eachother? If I use the wireless routers can I connect all three building or do I need to have a wireless access point, a extender, and a router?

Jason

Phil

Phil

IRC Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 21 posts
You'd need 1 central router and 2 extenders. 3 routers won't talk to eachother unless they are hard wired or have extending features.

~Phil~

Scorpion5427

Scorpion5427

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info. Ok hopefully this is the last post I will make on this. If you don't mind would you take a look at these and see if I have found the right thing.

Building one: D-Link wireless 108g MIMO Router
web address with specs:
http://www.dlinkshop...7#MyGearSection

D-Link Router

Building Two and Three: D-Link DWL-G710 Wireless HighSpeed Range Extender
web address with specs:
http://www.dlinkshop...7#MyGearSection

Thanks

Jason

Edited by Scorpion5427, 07 February 2007 - 12:50 PM.

Phil

Phil

IRC Chat Staff

• IRC Chat Staff
  • 21 posts
They look good :whistling:

~Phil~

Scorpion5427

Scorpion5427

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts