Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Churning the hard drive

• Please log in to reply

NCBIll

NCBIll

• Pip
  • 2 posts
REcently the computer began to boot to the windows XP screen, die, and reboot, and die, etc. :whistling: I repaired the system using the XP installaion disk, and everything seems to have gone well, except that now when the system boots, the hard drive will churn for half an hour or so on boot up. I expect it to be busy for a few minutes, loading variousl apps, but you can hear the HD continuing to run for perhaps a half hour, during which time, one can continue to run other apps. The amount of CPU time it requires varies from 20% or so up to brief bouts of 100%. Most of the time, it is the system idle process that is taking up most of the CPU time. There doesn't seem to be any excessive load on the virtual memory.

I downloaded and run ATF cleaner, AVG Anti-Spyware and Super Anti-Spyware. They got rid of a lot of junk, but the problem persists.

I welcome ideas for how to clean this up.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
perform in the following order:

Disk Error Check:
1. Open My Computer, right-click C drive, choose Properties.
2. Click Tools tab, then click 'Check Now'
3. Tick both boxes. Click 'Check Now'
4. Click 'Yes' when asked about checking at the next restart.

When that's done and Windows restarts, proceed as follows:
Defragment:
Disable your antivirus temporarily, then run the Disk
Defragmenter on your C drive. Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter. (don't forget disable antivirus otherwise Disk Defragmenter will just keep restarting and never finish).

That should help speed things up a bit if you've never defragmented it for a long time.

finally, I would run a disk diagnostic tool to see if your drive is failing. This is a non-repairable condition which gradually gets worse until it fails completely and your data goes with it. With early warning you can take steps to avoid data loss:

If your disk is a Maxtor, Seagate, or Western Digital, you can download the relevant tool for those from here: http://www.pcstats.c...t...1583&page=6

Edited by pip22, 03 February 2007 - 05:47 PM.