Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with my 40GB HD some partition problem

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
ok, I have 1 40GB HD and its got this partition of a 7gb and 29gb (it's split up into those 2 partitions...i want it to be one 40gb ), how do u put it back in one so i have my single 40GB hd? :.:.I know it wont be "40GB" but it will be back to a normal 40GB, those who know a 40GB has about 38.5GB freespace once you install a OS...So please someone give me instructions....i have formatted it 3 times, tried repartitioning...ETC. i just want it back to normal with all its space

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When things get this tough the best thing to do may be to write the drive to zeros, that is make it blank the way it came from the factory. You can download a program called Killdisk to a floppy, boot the machine from the floppy, when Killdisk loads choose the hard drive and then choose one pass write to zeros. Then when you make a new partition just choose to use the entire volume.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Ok, im not quite sure what you mean :S....can u be more specific? like once i boot to the "killdisk" floppy what do i do exactly?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Are you using this drive in the computer? Hopefully it is not being used for your main drie in the computer. If it is a spare drive, how are you trying to format the drive? I hope you are not trying to use the windows computer management/disk management to do this. It will not work that way.

If you know who makes the drive go to their website and download their utilities that you can burn to a bootable CD. You can then use the bootable CD to fdisk the drive and make it into one large partition. Thsi Cd does this before windows boots up so you will stick the cd in a drive then restart the computer. The computer will boot up into the drive utilities.

If you have a floppy drive another method is to use a Win 98 boot floppy to fdisk and format the drive. It can format up to 127 gig drives. Then restart the computer and go into disk management and switch the drive over to the ntfs files system as Win 98 floppys format as FAT32.

SRX660

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
SIGH,it is my boot drive"main drive" i guess theres no easy way to do this...