Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

goofi44

goofi44

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Have many issues with my comp, would like to clean it out and start over. I have all the CDs to reinstall but I do not know where to start. I have a Dell Dimension 4600, 512 MB Pentium 4 Service Pack 1 with Windows XP. Can someone please help me with this? Thank you

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you concerned with backinig up any data or are you just ready to format and install Windows fresh?

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just start fresh

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this article that explains the process. It's really fairly straight-forward. You will need your Windows reinstallation CD and the Drivers CD (it may be called a Resource CD) that came with your Dell system. If you don't have the Driver CD, you'll need to download the drivers from Dell's website. Be sure to download and save (to USB drive, floppy, or CD) them before formatting your drive, because you won't be able to get back online afterward without the Network Adapter driver. There may be other vital drivers, but I can't think of them at this time.

Please let us know how it goes.

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey I'm just a random person like you, but I also have a couple Dell Dimensions at home. I have a purple colored disk that has Operating System Windows XP on it, I don't know if it's the same for you. But I just put that in my CD-Drive and restart my computer. While it's booting up, I keep hitting F12 to make it load the Boot Device Menu, when it gets there, it should ask you where you want to load it from, and you should choose the number saying IDE CD-ROM Device or something like that. Then the rest is following the instructions.

LOL. I was typing this before I saw LindaGail's post. I was trying to help but LindaGail's is better. Sorry if it wasn't my place.

Edited by Lambert Nguyen, 03 February 2007 - 11:23 PM.

goofi44

goofi44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
[b]
help please.
I did all that thearticle said but now my computer says it cannot detect modem. I have tried everything I can think of including starting from scratch twice. Still, it says no modem. What am I doing wrong and can someone please help me soon? Thank you