Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet card

• Please log in to reply

john god

john god

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I just got a cable modem for my internet.I have a router so my son can connect. How can I tell if my ethernet card in the pc works? It says cannot detect modem.The light on the ethernet card was on than went off. Only the bottom green light was on.

Windows 98 SE I use a linksys router BEFW11S4V4 Motorola Surfboard Cable Modem
Service Electric And Cable ISP

Thanks
John

This post has been edited by john god: 17 minutes ago

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Connect the ethernet cable directly from your PC's network card to the modem (like it was before you got the router). If you can browse the web like that, your network card is okay. Also if there's a light on the modem labelled "ethernet" and it's lit when the PC is running, that also confirms the network card is okay.

Make sure you follow the routers connection instructions to the letter. In particular, you must use the ethernet lead that's supplied with the router to connect it to your PC. I made the mistake of thinking the one they supplied with my Belikin router was just like any other ethernet lead so I left it in the box and used one of my existing leads instead. It didn't work. I used the one they supplied and it was fine. I've since learned there are in fact two types of ethernet cable, "patch" and "crossover", depending on what you are using it for.

Edited by pip22, 05 February 2007 - 09:06 AM.

john god

john god

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
I don't have any internet. I can't get a device driver for the ethernet card. I don't know what make card it is. My main pc works fine, but I had to get a linksys ethernet card, it didn't have one.