Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS error, new HD ect

• Please log in to reply

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
HELP

Working on a dell inspiron 5100, P4 2.6G, was running XP.
User (my niece) had multiple probs, tried to fix it herself, added all the Dell upgrades. In the middle of one of the d/loads laptop shut off. Best guess it was during a bios upgrade for of all things, a shutoff problem.
I inherited this problem, and would really like to get this lappy back to life. Error is 0X000000ED, followed by 0X81B21A50, ECT. I followed all the info from MS and ended up replacing the HD. Still received same error msg, but followed by 0X81B6A030. I dis-assembled laptop and cleaned excessive animal hair from inside. All connections appear to be tight and clean.

Chronology:
  • Machine boots and runs, slow everything
  • Updates are attempted to be applied to machine
  • BSOD on boot after upgrade failure
  • failed attempt to clean HD and re-install
  • Replaced HD, still dead, no boot
  • zero-fill new HD, takes all sectors OK
If I boot from floppys, I get to the end of the last disk and it comes up with the error, unmountable boot device, always w/the 0X00000ED. Will not boot from the CD, but see's the CD, HD in BIOS

Thanks in advance, any ideas would be great!

Harry

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Have you tried using the HD manufacturers tools which format and partition their own drive. Using that will sometimes work.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Its a Western digital, and all support tools say its ok. Problem was resident before HD was changd out.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did you check the BIOS in any way to see if it was the correct version or corrupt? If the problem occurred during a failed BIOS burn that's what I would want to do.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
I actually loaded backwards on the bios, from ver.27 to ver.22 and got no joy. Short of yanking the chip on this thing, any way around this.