Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound at all

• Please log in to reply

addiej555

addiej555

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Last night I shut down my computer (Gateway notebook, Windows XP), which I rarely do, and this morning when I turned it back on, the sound was gone. I haven't installed anything at all in this computer that has anything to do with sound, and nothing at all recently (last 6 months). I haven't changed or adjusted anything at all, and I don't understand where my volume went. I tried several websites and my desktop solitaire and tried the system sounds, but there's nothing coming out of these speakers! What could be wrong?! (And I'd appreciate it if you made any help step-by-step; I'm not very computer savvy). Thanks!

Edited by addiej555, 05 February 2007 - 01:28 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi addiej555

It could simply be the sound driver needs installing. It's not unknown for drivers to 'disappear' without giving them any reason to do so. First check your list of devices for any problems, like so:

1. Start>Control Panel (then change it to 'classic' view if not already).
2. Click 'System' icon, then click the 'Hardware' tab.
3. Click 'Device Manager' and you'll see a list in alphabetical order.
4. Scroll down to "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"
6. Click the 'plus' sign next to it to expand that category.

If there are any yellow question-marks or red exclamation marks, it's a missing driver. However, even if Device Manager shows no problems, re-installing the driver can often do the trick.

But to get the correct driver we need to know the model number of your notebook, not just the brand name. Or it's serial number. Gateway post drivers for their computers on their support website. (unless you have a separate CD with the drivers on it, which some manufacturers provide as standard).

Edited by pip22, 05 February 2007 - 03:34 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon. Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu. Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your Sound device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu. Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the Your Sound device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it. Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar". Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

cheers...xxx1