Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes every 30 min

• Please log in to reply

Crystallize

Crystallize

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi !

I have this problem that I have this problem that my computer freezes up for a short while about exact every 30 minutes for a minute or so about exact every 30 minutes for a minute or so.

During this time nothing works properly and it kind of chatters,
it's specially bothering when I'm trying to watch a movie.

I can see in the task managers processes that Services.exe takes up 99% of the CPU power at that time, after the few seconds when the computers responding again the services.exe falls back to take 0% of the CPU power again.

Also I see in my Sygate Personal firewall that Services.exe shows up at that time,
looking like this:

Posted Image

First I thought it was a hard ware error, but since I changed the mo-bo, graphics card, PCU and CPU fan it's still the same so it not it.

When I reinstalled windows it seemed to disappear for a little while but now it's back again.

I'm not sure if this is caused by a mal-ware, most lightly a resource hog.

I have spent a lot of time trying to solve this also.

I would much appreciate any input at all.

Here's my Hijackthis log, even if I think it looks clean...
I can mention that Avast is my anti-virus program.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 03:31:33, on 2005-03-30
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\Program Files\BOINC\projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu\setiathome_4.09_windows_intelx86.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\New\fixit\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.se/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eTrust PestPatrol Active Protection] none
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINNT\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - Global Startup: BOINC.lnk = C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc_gui.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &ieSpell Options - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Check &Spelling - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLCHECK.HTM
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.asuscom.de
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINNT\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe

Advertisements

Crystallize

Crystallize

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Never mind.

I found the problem, just posting so if anyone else get this problem they can try this too as it took me 7 hours to track it down.

I found some leftover residues in the registry from a virus that
my AV program had removed earlier.

But as the virus had mutated somewhat it didn't remove all registry entries
properly and that made the OS search for the file every 30 min, with no luck
and that made it just lag loads.

The registry entries is anyways. (in multiple catalogs)

[name]*Microsoft Update [file] ytkcx.exe

era909

era909

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having the same problem as this user: http://www.geekstogo...ter-t14168.html

But unlike him I haven't been able to solve it myself. The only registry entires I can find that are smiliar to what he listed (ytkcx) are located in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU\

and

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1844237615-573735546-839522115-500\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Explorer Bars\{C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1}\FilesNamedMRU\

but they do not have the .exe file extention.

I've done virus scans with Norton Antivirus 2005 and AVG Anti-Virus, as well as Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search & Destroy (all of them with the latest updates).

This is what my hijackthis log looks like:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 13:57:00, on 2005-04-02
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program\AMD\Cool'n'Quiet\GemServ.exe
C:\Program\AMD\Cool'n'Quiet\gemback.exe
C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program\Rage3DTweak\RegTwk.exe
C:\Program\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\program\Utopia\Angel\Angel.exe
C:\Program\rage3dtweak\gameutil.exe
C:\Program\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program\Opera\opera.exe
D:\Install\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://se.msn.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033 -noicon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\Program\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINNT\Updreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegTweak] C:\Program\Rage3DTweak\RegTwk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Utopia Angel] "C:\program\Utopia\Angel\Angel.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: gameutil.exe.lnk = C:\program\rage3dtweak\gameutil.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java-konsol - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: AMD PowerNow! ™ Technology Service (GemServ) - Advanced Micro Devices - C:\Program\AMD\Cool'n'Quiet\GemServ.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect-tjänst (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINNT\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\DELADE~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

-

Any help would be appreciated.

~ Era

era909

era909

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Never mind.

I found the problem, just posting so if anyone else get this problem they can try this too as it took me 7 hours to track it down.

I found some leftover residues in the registry from a virus that
my AV program had removed earlier.

But as the virus had mutated somewhat it didn't remove all registry entries
properly and that made the OS search for the file every 30 min, with no luck
and that made it just lag loads.

The registry entries is anyways. (in multiple catalogs)

[name]*Microsoft Update  [file] ytkcx.exe

View Post

Does anyone have any idea of what causes this and how to fix the problem? I have the same problem but I have no trace of ytkcx.exe on either my hdd or in the form of registry entries.

http://www.geekstogo...min-t14789.html