Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video shuts computer down..RAM problem?

• Please log in to reply

The Panda

The Panda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Did you run memtest yet? It is safe. It just checks your RAM for any errors. You gotta run it for at least 10 hours though.

I never questioned the program's safeness, I question my competence in DOS. :whistling:
I'll see if I can muster up enough guts to try it out. 10 hours might be a problem if it runs hot it will shut down. I have to run my virus scans in safe mode because they will usually trigger a shut down. I was convinced I had a virus until I actually got a scan done in safe mode and it didn't find anything.

"... my computer runs hot and shuts down after a while"(quote from first post)

What do you mean by "computer rus hot"?. How did you get this impression?

From feeling the back of my laptop. It does get hot. Again, I'm no technician. I'm going mostly from what I've read after running google searchs about problems similar to mine. I've read that it could be a RAM problem or that it could be overheating. Because I notice the heat whenever it shuts down I figured that might be the issue.

The data from Everest shows normal, even surprisingly low cpu temp at 29 Celsius.

I noticed the fans came right on when I started the video file. I opened a streaming video file off of a website and ran the program. I figured that if anything should trigger the heat, that would do it. I was surprised that it didn't seem to overheat at all, I was actually anticipating a shut down when I did it. I'll run another test tonight.

Did you run an application while checking temps?

Yes.

Please repeat the test and run your antivirus at the same time.

That's a good idea. As I stated above I've also had a problem doing scans as well. I probably should have listed that as a problem in the first post but I just flat ot forgot to do so. I have to do scans in safe mode.

Report temperatures after about 5 minutes. Read the temps simultanously with the antivirus run.

OK.

To test your hardware download and run BurninTest from here. It's free for 30 days. Please report.

OK.

Adding ram to a lap top can be very easy indeed. It all depends how you reach the expansion slot. Many laptops have a small cover at the bottom. Open it and insert the ram stick, usually diagonally, into the slot and then push it down. Don't use force!!. If in doubt, let someone else do it for you. Adding ram is a good idea since the Everest report shows that you have very little free ram space (58 MB).

Yeah, I guess I should give that some consideration. I had initially heard that adding RAM to a laptop was hard. Either way I don't think I should attempt it until I at least see someone else do it.

Thanks. I'll post that tonight.

Advertisements