Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a good laptop ?

• Please log in to reply

mme16

mme16

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi I am looking to buy a laptop.

I would like to play games like:
Half life 2
Command and conquer
Battlefield
Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Age of Empires 3

also like to have at least a two hour battery life :whistling:

I found this dell one for about $2400

here are the specs:
http://mami.hoogetech.com/gmc/dell.htm

So what do you think ?

Advertisements

mme16

mme16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Please reply as I need to make a decision before the end of thursday

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with Vista for several months, until a few updates are released. I'm also not a huge fan of ATI onboard video. Other than that, the specs look pretty decent, although I don't know if it's $2400 worth of decent, with a 15" monitor, especially if you're looking to use it primarily for gaming.

mme16

mme16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok is this laptop with shared graphics ?

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
For gaming, I suggest at least a 19" monitor. I also agree on not getting Vista for several months, seeing as Vista is still having problems prior to its newly release. I also wouldn't spend $2400 on that laptop, especially since its only with a 15" monitor.

I really advise going to CyberPowerPC and customizing a really nice computer from there. They're a good place to get quality computers. They're also cheaper then a lot of places I have been to, and they're 100% legit.

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 07 February 2007 - 12:55 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That wont do much for games the gfx isn't good enough but looks ok, vista wise unless you game a huge amount and have an nvidia graphics card. Its not to bad no reason not to get it if it comes with it or hold of buying its totally functional apart from openGL which will come soon enough.

I would wait though in Q2 this year ATI(which make excellent laptop chips for mid to low end systems that trounce the intel stuff) they are releasing dx10 laptop gfx chips which will beat anything else on the market and be good for gaming.

You don't get many laptops with more than 15 or 17" and the larger ones arent very good laptops you would be as well just getting a small PC.

Cyberpower laptops are nice and perform well but in terms of quality they aren't the best build quality isnt as good as it could be but they are cheap so you get what you pay for.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 February 2007 - 01:24 PM.

mme16

mme16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for all your input I have made my decision and I have bought the laptop.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Tell us how it runs, im interested to hear about the gfx card.

mme16

mme16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It takes about 10 business days for shipping so until then :whistling:

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
In approximately 10 or so days, give a day or so, let us know. I am curious on how it runs, :whistling:.

mme16

mme16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well I got the laptop today (15/2/07) After setting the laptop up I Installed my updates and so on and now I am just installing programs on it. The laptop is very fast and runs quit smoothly. I will keep you updated

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Get a dell 100% get one. I just got an Inspiron.

Go here:
http://www.dell.com/...u...;l=en&s=dhs

Starts at 799.00
This si the one I bought, it ended in the end being $1,568.00 It was worth it.

I was going to get the XPS,but if you look at it,you can get the same thing thats built inside the xps into the inspiron,so just tihnk about it, they are just trying to get you pay more cuase the XPS is a Gaming notebook.

Just simply upgrade what you want inside the Inspiron.

Hope this helps.