Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a free forum service

• Please log in to reply

Jiff

Jiff

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I am looking for a free forum service to add to my personal website. Does anyone know of a service that is free with many options and functions? Maybe a free service like this doesn't exist, but I thought I would check if anyone knows of one.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't know where you're hosting your web site (bravenet.com, geocities.com or some other), but you can check out this one and see if you like it:

PHPBB for Free Home

There a few more if you Google for them.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 07 February 2007 - 04:42 PM.

Jiff

Jiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi Major Payne,

I checked out PHPBB for Free Home but they have a $10 setup fee saying "Due to increasing demand for free forums we are limiting signups to those that help us support the service." I think they need to take the word 'free' out now :whistling:

It looked great, thanks for the link! I'll keep searching...

Jiff

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Seems all the free ones want to run ads. Bravenet and geocities have forums, but you have to host your web site there and the ads are killers.

Maybe someone will come up with a good free forum program. Good luck in your search.

Ron

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
How about this? http://ipbfree.com/home/

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
My humble opinion is that if you are going to run something that requires bandwidth, disk space, and most likely a database you should pay for it.

Someone else had to pay for it, spend time to set it up and maintain it.

There are PLENTY of hosts out there who provide space at insanely low prices. Some really good ones offer a plethora of services for under $5 a month. Some even lower I believe.

If you want free be content with the free sites and their pop-up's and ad's.

Again, just my two cents...

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
As always, you get what you pay for.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

As always, you get what you pay for.

Not always true. I on a $3 a year plan and it has been great. Though I will admit I back up regally. The site is www.hoststock.com They claim to be right next door to all the yahoo servers.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Jiff,

Nope it's still free. Just seems that you didn't bother reading past $10.00 so go take another look.

Thanks

Wendy