Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor moving on its own

• Please log in to reply

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi.

My cursor has started to jump around the screen on its own while im trying to scroll around. I've tried running scans and restarting the comp, but it still moves in directions other than what i want it to.

It's made browsing the internet a whole lot more annoying. Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's a mouse which uses a ball underneath, what you describe happens when the ball and the rollers at each side of it get clogged with debris like dust and hair picked up from the mouse-mat. Turn over the mouse, remove the little plate which allows the ball come out, take out the ball and clean it, and also clean the rollers where the ball sits (don't use any liquids to do that, except a cotton-swab moistened with a spirit-type cleaner such as cd cleaning fluid -- moistened, not wet through.

Better still, if it is a ball-mouse, just bin it and buy yourself an optical one which doesn't use a ball. You'll notice the difference as soon as you use it.

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 03:32 AM.

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am using an optical mouse.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
before doing anything the simplest would be to check the mouse against and another computer, and the computer against another optical mouse, my hunch is that the driver is playing up but all the test would be for nothing if the optical mouse is actually broken.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Have you recently changed your mousepad or have stopped using one? If the surface you are moving the mouse on is to shiny or reflective it will jump all over the place as you describe.

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, I did actually switch to a new mousepad.

Guess i should try a different one.