Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't unistall my freedom anti software!

• Please log in to reply

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm so stressed out right now! My anti software been acting up for the past 2 days.
First time bad experience it wouldn't let me connect to the internet acting all crazy, but everytime I disable the anti software my internet connection went through. I think this all coming from a site I went to trying to download a new skin for my win logon I don't know if that's the case or what. So when it gave me more problems I unistall the freedom anti software and reinstall it back in to see if it will run properly. Turn out it kept doing the same thing over. So I experience this on day one. I just gotten so tired I created another user account for my Xp. I didn't want to put my computer in recovery because I have alot of important files and programs I didn't want those to get erase. I erase my other main admin account sense everything started to run smoothly on my new account. *Sadly* but this afternoon past same thing happened again with my freedom anti software program. I tried unistalling it but a internal error descript number came up.
So I switch to use CC cleaner to see if it will unistall there find out there were two freedom anti softwares
The first one was plain it didn't say software it just said freedom. I click the one that said freedom I hit unistall but no message appears about the unistalling method. Now it just go blank out real quick. So I rebooted my computer then went back to unistall the other freedom it doesn't want to unistall either. I went to my computer and then program files in safe mode I just deleted freedom files. But it still appears that the anti software is still on my computer because I tried the same method as before and it won't unistall this messy anti software. Also when I started out first having difficulties with this program I went to freedom utility help dignose to see if it will detect any problems with their software clearly the system said no problems. Now i'm getting Relevant Knowledge pop ups???? I notice it before in my first account, my firewall ask me about Relevant Knowledge to connect to the internet I said no then that's when my system anti software started to act a little funny then. Yes, turns out Freedom is still in my set access and default programs. I don't know how to unistall it and don't know what to do???? Please help me!!! I have to hurry and try to do something because my computer is unprotected without the software.. I need to unstall this one so I can get another anti program..

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
When you say "anti", I take it you mean "anti-virus" -- right? Or maybe it's "anti-hacker" or both?

From what I can gather, the Freedom PC protection is no longer available from the original developers RadialPoint: http://www.freedom.net/
and there's scant information on their community forum about how to deal with problems.

I have to admit I've never heard of this Freedom software until now. If the uninstaller won't work and there's bits of it scattered around your hard disk I can only recommend you back up all your data and re-install Windows. That will also clear out any other leftover bits and pieces from any other program which might be affecting your PC. It is also the only way to guarantee you've got rid of it (and certainly quicker than hunting all over the hard disk for it's associated files, some of which may not be obvious).

Then, for your PC security, install something more well known and that's got a proven track record. Some of the best ones are even free and I use those listed below:

Avast Antivirus Home Edition: http://www.avast.com...ast_4_home.html

ZoneAlarm Firewall (free version):
http://www.zonelabs....a...=GB&lang=en

If you'd rather have an "all-in-one" package which does both, and you don't mind paying for it, again ZoneAlarm is highly recommended (ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite). I use it on my every day PC. : http://www.zonelabs....a...=GB&lang=en

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 03:24 AM.

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
THANKS FOR HELPING ME!! Yes it's a Anti Virus, Firewall, and Spyware protect..
Okay will I lose my internet if I do all this????? *Reinstall windows*
Also I don't have a windows xp disk actually it's built on my D drive..
I need some steps how to go about this properly so I can start over thanks.. :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you are connected by ADSL or cable, and you connect the router or modem to the PC with an ethernet lead instead of USB, your internet connection should automatically work just as soon as Windows has been re-installed.

However, if your modem or router uses a USB connection to the PC, your internet won't work until you install the USB driver (the USB driver that should have been supplied with the modem/router, or supplied on a CD by your ISP if they supplied the hardware).

If you are using a dial-up connection, then obviously you'll have to re-install your ISP's dial-up software before you can connect.

Whichever method, I suggest you download a free firewall and free antivirus and put the downloads on to the 'D' drive or on to a CD, before you re-install Windows. Then when Windows install has finished, you can disconnect your modem/router until you get the firewall and antivirus installed. That way you won't have a 'live' internet connection that's unprotected.

Now, as to how you go about re-installing Windows (without a 'proper' Microsoft Windows CD) varies according to the PC manufacturer. Some of them give you a couple of CDs labelled "Recovery" and you boot your PC from CD#1 and follow the on-screen messages.

Some PCs (like Packard Bell) give you a special floppy disk (usually red), and you boot from that, which starts the recovery process from a backup image on the hard disk.

There's a third possibility. You don't get any CDs or a floppy disk. But if you start Windows, look in "Start"->"All Programs". There may be a shortcut in that list (or sub-list) to "Start Recovery Process".

All I can say for sure is, whatever method you have to use, don't do it until you've copied all your stuff from "My Documents" to another drive or to a CD if you have a cd-writer, because the recovery process will wipe everything off the C drive, and the new "My Documents" folder will be empty except for the default shortcuts to a couple of music files and a few sample photos.

Edited by pip22, 07 February 2007 - 09:49 AM.

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Is it the Freedom™ Internet Security Suite? (a program provided by Adelphia/Comcast service.) Which provides, anti-virus, etc, service.

Reference link:
Freedom Internet Security Suite Userguide

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 07 February 2007 - 09:54 AM.

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks for all of your time and help! I really appreciate this..
Yes I run high speed internet though my pc ethernet
I made five recovery cd's from my d drive.. I also save my pictures and word files etc..
So if I put my computer in full system recovery will my internet will still be connected? also will my
network connections will still exist? At the begining of windows xp startup I can choose a options go to system recovery----- next step do a full recovery or a partial recovery.

Edited by SpicyNHot, 08 February 2007 - 01:56 AM.

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Thanks for all of your time and help! I really appreciate this..
Yes I run high speed internet though my pc ethernet
I made five recovery cd's from my d drive.. I also save my pictures and word files etc..
So if I put my computer in full system recovery will my internet will still be connected? also will my
network connections will still exist? At the begining of windows xp startup I can choose a options go to system recovery----- next step do a full recovery or a partial recovery.

I still need help to this question... :whistling:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes, choose the option to do a FULL recovery.

Your internet connection won't be affected if you have an ethernet cable connected to the PC.

When the recovery is finished, you should be able to browse the web straight away.

One last thing i just thought of. If you use outlook express, you'll need to backup your email account settings so you can put them back into OE after recovery. Do you need help with this?

Edited by pip22, 08 February 2007 - 02:33 AM.

SpicyNHot

SpicyNHot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks pip22 you really help me out!!!! I took your trust from what you said :whistling: :blink: I put my system in a destructive full recovery and everything turn out perfect.. My internet didn't get messed up! I didn't need a xp disk because it didn't come with my pc.. I have a D:) recovery partition drive, so all the important files was backup on there.. Plus I had 5 recovery cd's I made just in case.. I search a few things why my freedom program wouldn't unistall because a special path was missing in the registry.. ternal error descript 0x80040707.. It was good I did the recovery thing anyway because I had some nasty viruses in my system too.. Anyways now my compter is running new again I made sure this time I keep everything in order by using cc cleaner and cleanup!..

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
ccleaner is fine, but don't forget to keep your antivirus up-to-date and your firewall running all the time. Glad you got your problem sorted, and now you know it's no big deal if ever you need to start over again in the future!

Pip