Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual monitors

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have an older computer. It has a vga card installed in it. I want it the capibility to have dual monitors. If I get a "Pro Series HDDB15 (Male) to 2 x HDDB15 (Female) VGA Display Splitter Cable" will it allow this? If not where can i buy a cheap kit to allow this? All i have are pci slots available on my computer. It's not for gaming or video and image editing so I wouldn't need an expensive card.

Thanks,
Adam

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you get the cable splitter...then you'll have the same image on both monitors...if that's what you want...you could use one of those....if you're wanting a different image on monitor 1 and monitor 2...then you'll need to get a new graphics card with multiple video connections....i'm not the resident hardware geek...so i can't suggest models for you...but knowing what you want to do will help others suggest cards for you

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for the reply. I want to be able to have 2 images on each screen. I think i need a dvi card and a splitter or a vga card with 2 outputs but im not sure.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need a card with two outputs....they don't have to be VGA....one can be VGA and one can be DVI...or however you want it...but you've got to have two outputs....

alternately...you could actually get one of these http://www.tigerdire...e...3&CatId=317 ..i've never used one...but the principle is valid

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
That looks interesting, I might buy one of them - hopefully they have them in the UK.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What graphics card does it have, most video cards in the last few years have dual monitor support im using it now with a a pair of monitors on VGA(got one DVI and one VG on my card and use an adapter(free with most cards)). Its been a feature in cards so long that you can get them really cheap even low end card can do it and it will be just as cheap as a more complicated method.