Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer continues to reboot over and over again

• Please log in to reply

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I am working on a computer for a friend that I am having trouble getting to boot. Just before it is about to bring up the Windows XP start screen, it starts to reboot again. I went into the recovery console to try to repair windows. I went into the system32 file and typed ren kernel32.dll kernel32.old. It kicked back the message "The system cannot find the file or directory specified". I then opened the D:\ drive (CD ROM). I then typed expand d:\i386\kernel32.dl_ ( I already had the XP OS in the drive). It then kicked back the message "access is denied". Can anybody help from here?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Follow the guide how to repair.

http://www.geekstogo...l?showtopic=138

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks! You guys rock! Iam having some trouble connecting through ie7 now. It gives the error "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll". What does this mean?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Be right back with the answer :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ok, back with a answer.

When we repaired Windows XP, we must of corrupted Internet Explorer 7 :whistling:

But not to worry!

We can repair it!

Follow the directions from microsoft on how to uninstall and reinstall internet explorer. It should take care of the problem.

Here is the link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
You really do rock! OK, I am back on line and doing the updates. So far it appears that everything is in working order. I haven't tested everything (software and hardware) yet but I plan to once I have reinstalled all of the updates. Stay tuned. I will let you know if all is well in just a bit. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Alright awesome! Something may of gotten corrupted so this may of fixed the problem.. lets hope... I will be here so post frequently to make sure we are not having any issues or errors :whistling:

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Alright. Everything is working but the modem? I can connect to the internet through LAN but the owner of this computer uses dial up. It says that the modem is working properly. I tried to ping the modem and it cannot find it. I did the dianostics and it returned one item that I don't understand. It was an AT command. It was as follows "AT#CLS=? COMMAND NOT SUPPORTED". All of the other commands were a success. Would this AT command be the problem? Waht do you think? :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try reinstalling the hardware drivers. What kind of dial up card is this

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I solved the problem and you won't believe what I am about to tell you! The problem is the ISP!!!!! The problem was in People PC's software. My friend brought this computer to me because her modem stopped working. They bought a new and it wouldn't work either. I switched out the modem eight times with eight different modems (different models, brands, etc) and still had the same problem. After installing the latest drivers, flashing the bios, etc, I opted to switch out the motherboard with one that i had here on hand. That is how I ended up here! As you know, i still had the same problem. I was reasearching on the internet when I came upon a discussion that was exactly like mine. The on there said that he could dial in at his house but not his grandparents house. After the next question was asked, he made the statement that his Grandparents had people pc and he had juno. I immediately turned to this computer, removed it from my home network and dialed in to my Earthlink account. Bam! That was it! It dialed right in! Thank you people pc for making my life [bleep]! Do you happen to know how to fix this? My recommendation to them will be to get their money back from people pc and switch to a more competent ISP!!!!! :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
PeoplePC is junk. I think DSL is good it is very cheap.

Thanks for the update!

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thank you for all ofyour help. You really have been a big help! I have a broadband connection myself and I really like it. Earthlink (or enter your ISP here) forever, People PC Never! :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Verizon has its conflicts. It has been flawless for the last couple months. Drops out here and there because of my wireless. I like it though