Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing another XP OS

• Please log in to reply

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I want to install a second XP OS on my laptop's HD for testing purposes. I made all the preparations with PartMagic from within my actual XPPro OS. I made a primary NTFS formatted partition of 2Gb (I already installed one on another HD, and a little over 1Gb is enough > deleted stuff with XP Lite afterwards). However there is something wrong with my CD-Rom drive and it can't read the install CD at bootup (first I got an i2omp.sys corrupt error, at a second attempt I get an NTFLD error, and at a third attempt it just won't read anything and goes through at boot up by starting my actual OS since it can't read anything from the CD)

The CD is however perfectly readable from my USB connected 2nd DVD+/- RW. My BIOS does not support USB however.

I copied the original CD XP to my HD and burned it back to another CD with my DVD+/-RW. I could not make the copy on the CD "bootable" because I did not know where to find this boot.img that was required during the copy initialisation. Now this CD is perfectly readable with the build-in CD drive of my laptop, however not bootable.

At boot I can hear the CD spin up, but of course it does not boot from it.

Can I install the 2nd OS on that other freed partition from within my actual OS. I cannot use a command with a rescue disc since I can only use 1 bay (discette OR CD-Rom) and my bios doesn't support USB).

Using BootMagic isn't an option either beause I would yet have to install another FAT partition to make BootMagic work.

My actual partitions (in that order) are: C(XPPro) > K > E(data)

So I would like to install my other XP OS on the K drive letter.

I could burn another CD and integrate the boot.img but how do I make that file ? I have a rescue floppy and my floppy drive is however "B". I read somewhere I could make a boot.img from my bootable floppy with a command line like this:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=10k count=144

However that applies only if my drive is "A", which it isn't because that is my USB stick and I can't switch the DOS drive letters. I once got a BSOD while trying to force that some time ago.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Here's a link on Slipstreaming XP. While your question is not about slipstreaming, the site also tells you what you need to do to make the CD bootable.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You might check to see that there are no filters set on the cd-rom. That would prevent the cd from booting the machine.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot to apply the change.

wannabe1

JimB007

JimB007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
No Filters present. Also I installed the actual XPPro that's on it some time ago now from the same built in CD-Rom. And also it could boot up from the same original CD when I installed the XP OS on another HD, and that was done a few days ago from boot up. But now for some reason it won't boot from that CD. That's why I made a copy to my HD. And from there on made burned another copy on a CD. That last one won't boot but it spins high at startup. The first original at bootup now makes that wellknow clicking noise.

Edited by JimB007, 08 February 2007 - 08:31 AM.