Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using XP discs with different prod keys

• Please log in to reply

Boz657

Boz657

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have two PC's - an emachines pre-built one and a home built one.

The emachine comes with a software recovery disc to go back in windows. I bought an OEM copy of XP home for my other pc.

My question is...can I install XP on my emachine with my proper XP disc and use the prod key that came with the emachine pc? Or can you only use the XP disc with the product key it came with?

I think you probably can but wanted to be sure before I wipe the hard drive on my emachine and lose the partition with the software recovery information on it.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Are both the PC's XP Home?

If so, yes you can, you will just have to change the product key with the bought copy of xp to the emachine product key so it won't come up as not genuine.

Boz657

Boz657

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yep, both pc's are XP home.

So if I perform a clean install of XP home on the emachine pc and use the prod key stuck on the side of the emachine (and not the prod key that came with the XP disc) then it will be OK. Kinda figured it would be just wanted to double check. Thanks.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah you can do that.

Just be sure, before your reregister with microsoft, which you MUST, since you are using a different product key, make sure to change the product key before you reregister with microsoft.

Other than that your good to go.