Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy a mac

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not quite Celeron as far as i know no apple system has ever used a celeron or even a pentium the first intel based system used core duo as far as i know and they now use core 2 as well as core 1s. You pay for the branding but its not quite bad for most things(although they do seem to add a whole 0 on the end for monitors) but systems its usually only 200-300 more you might pay extra. Before they switched to intel they used power PC CPUs from intel the same kind the 360 uses, they were actually i think better for how macs were targeted they were superior for things like graphic development and audio editing as they had dual and triple cores for years before intel and AMD had them, they did though make them more expensive which was the main reason apple switched to intel. That and IBM were going to pull the plug on powerPC and its succesor the Cell(the one the PS3 has) which is an amazing CPU was much harder to code for than the x86s although it again would have been netter for how macs are marketed and traditionally used.

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I was referring to the the fact Mac's have the system performance equal to a Celeron. Basically from the use I've had of them, I found them totally useless and slow. Over time, yes, they have gotten slightly better but until they're really up-to-scratch and lower the prices software companies won't find it feasible enough to code programs to have Mac compatibility :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Hey where can macs be bought and when should i buy one(the newest os out yet)

ANy help apperciated

Back on topic:

What is the reason you really want to get a mac? Just for the design or also the advantages (and the few disadvantages, but they're easy to deal with) of having one?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well macs were always just as fast as PCs although they generally had a longer lifespan than PCs so alot of people encounter older ones more than they would older PCs as people tend to for some reason keep them around till they break. They aren't overly slow some of them were actually very fast the PowerPCs just before they switched were going up to 5 cores(cant remember if they sold them with that CPU i think the G5s had them) and hardware wise now they are identical to intel PCs and performance is just the same they arent any slower or faster than any other kind of computer with similar hardware.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I agree with what you just posted about the hardware being the same. It's just the OS that makes the difference, the hardware is indeed pretty much the same.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah if apple sold the OS retail like everyone else nobody would buy the hardware.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
except for the people who like the design so much and don't care about the .50 GHz faster processor... like me

for example the imac: i have the 20'' version and I think it's great. No more messy cables around your desk and no noisy computer box.

Edited by emery, 19 February 2007 - 10:33 AM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
haha yeah i would agree. no offence but macs are made for people who cant use windows. Virus this malware that you only get malware when u download for p2p software oh and btw p2p isnt illegal, sharing licenced software is and going on dodey websites. You dont get viruses on Mac cause theres nothing worth attacking. Also the programs i want to run dont work on Mac dont start saying they do cause you need a WINDOWS emulator to make them work so actually your not using mac your using windows.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Also the programs i want to run dont work on Mac dont start saying they do cause you need a WINDOWS emulator to make them work so actually your not using mac your using windows.

that might be the case for some people, and I understand that. but almost all programs are available for both windows and mac now.

no offence but macs are made for people who cant use windows

hmm... I'm sorry but I really CAN'T agree with you on that one. Check out my posts on this forum. I've helped tons of people here by getting their windows problems fixed, have over a thousand posts on this account and my previous one... All those posts went into helping people with their [bleep] windows problems. So I guess I'm a mac user who was able to use windows, but was just getting sick of it's evilness.

Now I'm a mac user, and man am I glad I got rid of my windows machine! NO MORE COMPUTER PROBLEMS FOR ME :whistling:

Have fun, all of you, using windows (Vista out yet? Let's all go buy a new computer again so we can even start the [bleep] OS...)

Edited by emery, 19 February 2007 - 04:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need a new computer to run vista, mines is two years old now and it was good but mid range the base unit cost under £700 and it runs Vista better than it ran XP you most certainly dont need a new computer.

Styling cant say i can use that as a mac thing, sure they dont look bad and they look better than any business grade PC but you get some PCs that make macs look like cheap mingers. Its easy to make a PC look better than a mac some of the cases for PCs are just amazingly good looking and laptops are amazing the new asus models and other high quality brands beat apple on looks and build quality and function on that front. There is definitely no argument for macs on styling unless you dont know how to use the internet and shop for good looking PCs.

Macs arent made for people who cant use windows personally i always found macs a little harder to use but thats because i tend to like tweaking things how i like them which apple was never a fan of letting users do, personally if you want an OS thats utterly stable i would go linux over OSX cheaper and it even looks better the only thing it needs is a few hours of fiddling and playing to get it working the way you want it. While allot of people who go for macs couldnt use windows and had allot of problems because they couldnt take basic precautions or blamed hardware problems on windows thats not the fault of either of the operating systems its just some users are not computer orientated or are just impatient and dont have time to research anything beyond pretty adverts on the TV. If linux advertised on television the same way apple did they would sell half as many macs and half as many copies of windows.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Im not even going to start on a Mac v Windows arguement Mac is good for media and PC is good for office work. What i h8 the most is all the mac users complaining about windows, Most people who have macs have office 2004 and thats microsoft and it was orginally designed for windows. u like mac most people have windows and windows has alot more programs. Viruses come about when people hate the company who released the OS and because that company is making soo much money.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Viruses come about when people hate the company who released the OS and because that company is making so much money.

It has nothing to do with the company, people just want to cause others problems, now however they are doing targeted attacks to take advantage of you and your money. Most of the malware comes from people being stupid however so the company can't be blamed for your punishment to illegal activity on your computer which is one of the greatest causes of infected machines.

You don't get viruses on Mac cause theres nothing worth attacking.

Yes you can, it's just as easy as windows, however its not as common due to the smaller user base. Apples OS has as many holes as swiss cheese, they just need to be located as they are being in XP. Hopefully we will see more releases in OS's by Microsoft so we'll see less malware because people won't be as familiar with the OS.

Vista out yet? Let's all go buy a new computer again so we can even start the [bleep] OS.

At least we can upgrade our insides to do so, mac's need to go out and buy a completely new computer since the hardware can't be upgraded to meet new requirements, and not everyone is going to need to upgrade their computer, if they are using areo then upgrades will probably be needed if your computer is older then a year or two, otherwise you could still run it on a fairly old computer.

In the end what it comes down to is preference, each OS has its ups and downs. Microsoft has malware issues, macs can't be upgraded nor can they play many games. If one was a way better then the other then we'd only have one operating system, however there are 3 each serving different peoples needs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 February 2007 - 09:38 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

Mac is good for media and PC is good for office work

Thats such a generalised statement neither is any better at anything else than the other the only thing that makes macs good for media DEVELOPMENT is the software suite which is exclusive to it other than that its just another OS neither is better than the other for most things the difference are purely UI after that and user base how they are used is from the selection in the software suite which between the two is quite diffferent.

Also malware is a commerical excercise its extremely rare for someone to make a virus because they "hate" an OS few people hate an OS unless they have a vested interest in another competing one. Malware is created to make money or to further the objectives of its creator through malicous means but not neccesarilly malicous intent. They make malware for windows because they have been doing it for so long they are familiar with it and it has by far the largest market share over 90% because windows is primarily an operating system made and marketed to businesses its other abilities were always designed to further that.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
When was the last time you got a virus on Mac OSX yes there is viruses on Mac OS. PCs have more software on mac you cant get publisher on it and i like using publisher now and again also there isnt Office 07 on it. I have windows and my dad has a Mac ive used both mac and my pc and the difference is only the GUI, yes there are a few things that are nice in mac like the networking tools and stuff but to navigate your way round is totally different to the way i like to do it. Oh and james you can customise a mac now if you download MacOSx86 which is a version of mac that can be used on PC even though its totally illegal, whos cares though to be honest lol.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Oh and james you can customise a mac now if you download MacOSx86 which is a version of mac that can be used on PC even though its totally illegal, whos cares though to be honest lol.

I don't know what you mean by customize, but i was refuring to the hardware not the software. Also the people here might have problems with it since its against the TOS here.
James