Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows audio error

• Please log in to reply

Darkknight

Darkknight

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello there, here's my problem I recently lost all sound out of my speakers except system sounds, when i try to access the Volume control I get this message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, got to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, ant then click Add Hardware.

This Program will now close."

Thats one message, i get another one when trying to play music on the Media Player: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Those are the two errors I'm getting. Trying to troubleshoot this problem i went to administrative tools>services and go to Windows audio the service status is at "stopped" I "start" it and this fixes the problem but when I restart it this happens again even though the startup type is at "Automatic"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Julian

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Hi
give this a try see if windows audio is running in the services in the system utilities

from start>>run
type in . msconfig
click ok
under services tab
windows audio
is it checked
if not check it
click ok restart

hope that works

Edited by rushin1nd, 09 February 2007 - 08:24 PM.

Darkknight

Darkknight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thats seems to have done it, I restart the computer and all is normal now. Thank you for your quick and accurate help. This website has never let me down. Thanks

-Julian