Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME Desktop Won't Load

• Please log in to reply

KatieLee

KatieLee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone!

Today when I turned on my computer it hung just before loading my desktop. The Windows ME splash screen loaded properly and the Windows ME chime went off properly.

However, after the chime, the computer did nothing else. The desktop didn't load and I couldn't even see my taskbar. The only thing that seems to work is the keyboard and mouse.

I hit Alt-Ctrl-Delete and noticed that the only program running was "Bcmdmmsg". After rebooting a few times, I noticed that 'Explorer.exe' started to run after a reboot, but then the program appeared to close (because it no longer showed up in Task Manager).

I'm starting to think that the reason for my desktop not loading is Explorer.exe not being open. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Again, I can't get into the Start bar or My Computer to check anything; however, I do have a boot disk - so I can get to DOS. Someone told me to edit my 'shell=' line so I did that. I changed it to 'shell=progman.exe'. However, this didn't do anything. I have since changed it back to 'shell=explorer.exe'.

I'd really appreciate any help you could provide! Thank you for your time!

-Katie :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Start the compute, with a boot disk - EBD (emergency boot disk) - startup disk << different names but the same thing.

Select minimal at the menu. Then, at the A:\> prompt type the following.

scanreg /restore
(Press Enter)

Now select a date, prior to the problem and press Enter. When and if it says you've restored a good registry. Remove the startup disk, then press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys to restart the computer.

See if it starts normally. If it doesn't, try the same thing, but select another date just prior to the one you selected.

If a boot disk is needed. One can be found here: http://bootdisk.com/

If still no luck I think you'll need to re-install with the manufacturers recovery disc or MS Windows ME setup disk, whichever is available.

Edited by pip22, 10 February 2007 - 05:20 AM.

KatieLee

KatieLee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That worked - thank you so much! You guys rock!

-Katie :whistling: