Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba A105-S4254 Windows XP MCE 2005 hangs at certain web sites

• Please log in to reply

MSHIH

MSHIH

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I purchased my Toshiba laptop on 11/24/2006. Its configuration can be found at:

http://www.mysimon.c...tml?showspecs=1

I have checked Microsoft to make sure all the patches are installed (XP SP2, MCE 2005), and
with IE6.0.2900.2180.

I also have a Dell Latitude D600 (Windows XP Professional SP2) at home.

My problem is that my Toshiba will suddent go "dark blue screen" at some
web sites. It just hangs there. Reboot is ok. To make it complicated, the Toshiba
does not hang right away when we enter the sites (sometime it does). It randomly
occurs. There is no ANY MESSAGE, not the memory fault or that kind of "blue screen
of death".

I keep a log to record this symptom and found out it happens when we visited these sites:
myspace.com, answers.com, GaiaOnline.com, Yahoo! Beta mail, facebook.com,
purevolume.com

Other web sites seem fine, I am able to run it hours until I shut the laptop down without
any interruptions.

On that other hand, my Dell laptop works fine with these suspected sites.

I phoned Toshiba Tech Support. After more than 1 hour discussion and
diagonstic, they don't think it is a hardware issue. The drivers are all current.
java too. BIOS is right. There are security softwares installed (come with purchase),
CA-personal firewall, CA-Anti Spyware, CA-Anti Virus, Webroot Spy Sweeper,
and they are all current. I run them to make sure the Toshiba is not affacted
by any every weekend. It is clean.

My guess is some initial loading of java, or other graphic drive, sound drive is not
compatible. But..., what/which? Windows Media Player 10?

I run msconfig to keep only these security softeware and processes begin with 0, o, T, t
loaded during bootup (suggested by Toshiba.) So far, problem remains.

I right click "My Computer" -> Manage to bring up Computer Management, ->Event
Viewer -> System, show only Information and few warning for TCPIP (DSL drops).
No error! Warnings are not matching to the date/time when it hangs. Same to the
"Application". "Media Center" is empty. "Security" is "Success Audit".

Please help as I scratch my head so often, can't get anything..., and the hairs
are almost out soon...

Thank you for your time and help.

Advertisements

N00b1

N00b1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
it could be because of a few resins but i have herd of this before it could just be the sites because they might have flash or something like that that sayes to kill load if.... i had it on my site its to stop some bugs from ealer versions of programs to use brutefource but my space is a virus bomb so i don't know why you would like to go there

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the note, N00b1.

But my Dell has no problem in accessing these web sites. I have the two laptops running
at the same time to compare their resutls. Leave out these social web sites, answers.com,
and Yahoo! Beta mail are for "normal" usages. Toshiba still got chocked.

Yes, I thought about flash or utility depoted at these sites. I sent a mail to answers.com
tech service to see if any dedicated version required. They replied "no".

So far, I have not found other web sites to cause such issue yet.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I apologize for the delay in getting to your post.

1. Do you have the same TCPIP errors in the Event Viewer on the Dell, that correspond to the same date/time as the ones on the Toshiba? Please provide the full event message. Once you have an event open, click the "copy" button (below the down arrown), and paste it in your reply.

2. Do the TCPIP errors on the Toshiba correspond to the web freezes?

3. Is the network connection on the Toshia a wireless card or wired connection?

4. Are you able to test the machines side-by-side at the same time?

5. Be sure the firewall isn't blocking those sites. Try disabling the firewall and browsing to those problem sites. Does that have any affect?

6. Compare the Internet Security and other settings on both computers. Open Internet Explorer, Tools menu, Internet Options, Security tab, Custom Level. Also check Internet Options, Advanced tab. Since the Dell works, be sure the Toshiba matches the Dell.

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
1. The TCPIP is occurred when we put the laptop into hybernate mode (sleeping), i.e., cover
the LCD screen down. So, the TCPIP warnings are not happening/recorded at the same
time on both.

We have another hang this evening around 7:47 PM. The event viewer shows nothing
about it:

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
:
:
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:49 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:49 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:49 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:46 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:45 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:45 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:45 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 User TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:45 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:43 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:43 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:43 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:43 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:16:18 PM W32Time None 35 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:15:42 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:14:56 PM E100B None 19 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:15:21 PM eventlog None 6005 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 8:15:21 PM eventlog None 6009 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:42 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:34 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:34 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:30 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:24 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:16 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:16 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:40:12 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:39:45 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:39:45 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 User TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:39:40 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
Information 2/14/2007 7:38:28 PM Windows Update Agent Installation 18 N/A TOSHIBA-USER-34
:
:

2. No

3. built-in wireless card

4. I have both laptops connecting through DSL all the time.

5 and 6: I will test and check. Report the results later.

Thank you for your time.

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
For 5 and 6, I have disabled the firewall (Toshiba only), compare two
laptops to have the security and advanced settings the same.

Please allow for at least 24 hours observation.

BTW, do you think if macroMedia, Flash animation features may be
related? (One of my co-workers suggested.)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It could be. Open Add/Remove Programs on both computers and look for Adobe Flash or Macromedia Flash. Do you have the same version on both computers?

I've got Adobe Flash Player 9. You can download it here.

If installing Flash doesn't fix the problem...

Is the Toshiba totally up-to-date with Windows updates?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have on the Toshiba? Is it IE6 or have you installed IE7?

Please confirm the Operating System on the Toshiba. The spec sheet listed Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
>It could be. Open Add/Remove Programs on both computers and look for Adobe Flash or Macromedia >Flash. Do you have the same version on both computers?

Yes.

>I've got Adobe Flash Player 9. You can download it here.

It is current on both laptops.

>Is the Toshiba totally up-to-date with Windows updates?

Yes, I checked Microsoft site again two days ago.

>What version of Internet Explorer do you have on the Toshiba? Is it IE6 or have you installed IE7?

IE6.0.2900.2180

>Please confirm the Operating System on the Toshiba. The spec sheet listed Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Yes. I did not upgrade into Professional or Vista.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In Interrnet explorer: tools > internet options.

In general tab: clear history, delete cookies, delete files (including off line content)

In security tab: set all options (internet, trusted sites etc.) to default value.

Privacy: set to default

Advanced: restore default.

If this doesn't help try in security tab to lower temporarilly security level. Choose custom level pull the slider down and confirm. If this doesn't help bring it back to default level.

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Alas, delete files, cookies, lower the security level, did not help.

I am clueless still. Should I backup all my files (done regularly, in fact),
and do recovery to the base? I hate to take this final step...

Thank you all for the inputs.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Before reinstalling Windows, let's try a couple of other things.

1. Try logging in with the default Administrator user account-this will tell us if your normal user account is corrupt in some way. At the Welcome Screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the classic log-in shell. Type in Administrator for the user name. The password may be blank, if you did not set on during the initial install/setup of the laptop. Browse those websites that cause trouble. Is it better or the same under Administrator?

2. Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking-this will tell us if there are software conflicts. While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.) This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter. Now browse those websites. Do you have the same results?

Please answer specifically the results you get for both, as that will determine the next course of action.

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
1. It is the same under Administrator. Hang.

2. I entered the Safe Mode, brought IE6, but I can't get Internet connection, either the
wireless or the hard-wired. Where to check?

Thank you.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking? With Networking should have allowed your internet connection (at least via hard-wire).

MSHIH

MSHIH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
My children and I accidently found out if we disabled Computer Associate Personal
Firewall on Toshiba laptop, visiting these web sites are now ok.

I checked again to CA web site, my anit-spyware, anti-virus and firewall are all
current, they are all up-to-date.

Isn't this ironic if I open the firewall up to avoid such problem while I may put
my machine at risk?

I will keep on monitoring the status and report back if this is truly the cause of
the hang.

Thank you all for your time.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks for letting us know :whistling:

However, I have a question for you. What did you do differently to disable the firewall in your last post #14 compared to the way you did it earlier (my request to disable the firewall from post #4 and your answer in post #6)? That might assist me in asking the right question or requesting the right course of action.