Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM best buys

• Please log in to reply

Junkman

Junkman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
As part of my on-going research into components for my first computer build, (I want a gaming rig) I've been looking at RAM and trying to read up on what to look for. An article at Tom's Hardware suggests that the difference between tight timings and high frequencies in modern gaming builds is insignificant, and I'm I'm here to ask for confirmation of this fact from the local experts. RAM seems very expensive, so I want to get some relatively budget stuff if I can to save money for other components. So if I can get 6400 RAM with a CAS of 5 for significantly less than the same with CAS 4, I should do so, yeah? And how about brands and other factors? Here are a few options I am looking at:

OCZ Enhanced Latency 2 x 1 GB CL4 2.1V 1934 kr
G.Skill 2 x 1 GB CL5 1.8-2V 1643 kr
Corsair XMS2 2 x 1 GB CL5 1.9V 1737kr
Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 1 GB CL5 1.8V 1771kr

All PC2-6400, DDR2 SDRAM. The prices are in Danish kroner, divide by about 5.7 for USD or 11 for Pounds, if anyone cares, though of course it's only really relative to each other that the prices matter. Obviously it would be nice to go for the GSkill or another budget brand if it's not gonna be significantly detrimental to performance.
I assume also that 6400 DDR2 is the way to go? I'm gonna have most likely an AMD X2 system, with a small chance of a Core2Duo.

Please give me your thoughts, or let me know if you need any more information.

Edited by Junkman, 10 February 2007 - 01:06 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

As part of my on-going research into components for my first computer build, (I want a gaming rig) I've been looking at RAM and trying to read up on what to look for. An article at Tom's Hardware suggests that the difference between tight timings and high frequencies in modern gaming builds is insignificant, and I'm I'm here to ask for confirmation of this fact from the local experts. RAM seems very expensive, so I want to get some relatively budget stuff if I can to save money for other components. So if I can get 6400 RAM with a CAS of 5 for significantly less than the same with CAS 4, I should do so, yeah? And how about brands and other factors? Here are a few options I am looking at:

OCZ Enhanced Latency 2 x 1 GB CL4 2.1V 1934 kr
G.Skill 2 x 1 GB CL5 1.8-2V 1643 kr
Corsair XMS2 2 x 1 GB CL5 1.9V 1737kr
Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 1 GB CL5 1.8V 1771kr

All PC2-6400, DDR2 SDRAM. The prices are in Danish kroner, divide by about 5.7 for USD or 11 for Pounds, if anyone cares, though of course it's only really relative to each other that the prices matter. Obviously it would be nice to go for the GSkill or another budget brand if it's not gonna be significantly detrimental to performance.
I assume also that 6400 DDR2 is the way to go? I'm gonna have most likely an AMD X2 system, with a small chance of a Core2Duo.

Please give me your thoughts, or let me know if you need any more information.

PC2-6400 DDR2 800 would be great if you can but the DDR2 667 is plenty good enough. The difference between the ddr2 800 and the ddr2 667 is small. Me personally I would get the PC2-6400 DDR2 800 for my own machine. On the intel machines there is very little notice between the two speeds we talked about. On an amd machine its different and depends on the core clock and memory controller frequency. All in all lets not get too techinical as the PC2-6400 DDR2 800 is a wise choice to get.

If you want some technical info about this go here .... http://www.digit-lif...0-am2-fx62.html

The higher ddr2 speeds above PC2-6400 is mainly for overclockers wanting extreme clocked processors so you do not need to get above PC2-6400.

The Kingston valueram is still a good choice for you if you want to save alittle on memory, the Gskill cheapest memory with higher timings isnt real good but the lower latency Gskill is actually good memory. The corsair xms series is a really good brand / model of memory aswell and would probably be my first choice but Kingston and the Lower latency GSkill is good to.

You are right though it is insignificant. Get what you will use and dont spend the extra money on pretty memory with led's and lights for example just for bragging rights.. Just stick with PC2-6400 with decent timings and it will be great.

Edited by jrm20, 10 February 2007 - 04:34 PM.

Junkman

Junkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Cool, that helps alot, thanks :whistling: