Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista can't be installed and doesn't boot from dvd

• Please log in to reply

soul_at_sea

soul_at_sea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I've been reading forums after forums trying to get an edge on how to resolve this issue or figure why this is problem is occuring to many ASUS motherboard owners.

I was trying to install windows BAsic edition (not the upgrade) onto my friends PC.

He has an ASUS P4P800 SE, GF5200, 1 GB RAM and LG DVD-ROM-RW, Windows XP
I ran the vista compatibily advisor program from microsoft and passed.
Now, when it comed to format his drive and install vista, it kept booting up to xp, until i had to restart the pc once again.

I made sure that in my BIOS, my boot list had the dvd rom ahead of the HDD. Once i hit restart, it detects the vista dvd in the player and ask to hit any key to boot from dvd or cd.

I hit it and up comes windows xp. so whats wrong with the bootloader??
I decided to try and boot with my windows vista premium disk and got a little further. He boots from the disk, but freezes and forced me to restart the cycle once again.

I try to insert windows xp, and no luck. I get an error message 8xxx.

Some people are saying that the bios update is needed but, don't see recent updates on the asus website.

If someone could guide me to resolve this issue, I'll greatly appriciate it.

Thanks

Advertisements

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Where in the cycle does it freeze at for Vista Home Prem?

I know you mentioned that you already rearranged the BIOS boot sequence, try rearranging it again and put your HD last on the list and your CD/DVD Drive first and see if that helps.

You said,

Now, when it came to format his drive and install vista, it kept booting up to xp, until i had to restart the pc once again.

Did it boot from the CD/DVD Drive? That is the only way you'll be able to format the C: Drive and install Vista because if you do it from Windows XP, it won't give you that option to format.

soul_at_sea

soul_at_sea

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ya, it freezes while it tryies to load the setup files.

I ended up installing XP. It finally worked. Anyways, ASUS does not list the P4P800 SE as a compatible MB with vista. The only two types of ASUS motherboards compatible with vista is with the AMD 2 socket and Intel's 775 socket. P4P800 is an 478 socket. So, I'll still keep looking daily if asus will update the bios and chipsets for this MB. If not, I'll have to purchase a new MB.

Thanks for reading my thread!