Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Successor "Vienna" planned for 2009 launch

• Please log in to reply

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
http://www.engadget....-for-late-2009/

Now that Microsoft has freed Windows Vista from the shackles of a five year development process, the company is attempting to the wow starts now us by revealing that it plans to have its next major operating system ready within the next two-and-a-half years, giving Vista's successor an expected release date of late 2009. Speaking to PC World, Ben Fathi, the executive in charge of the OS's core components, made it clear that he was referring to a whole new OS -- known to have the codename "Vienna" -- and not the upcoming Vista service pack, codenamed "Fiji." Other than this tentative release date, Ben didn't have much new information on the future for Windows: in response to the question of what Vienna's killer feature will be, he said "I don't know what it is" and then proceeded to suggest that full virtualization and a radical new user interface will be the aim. Both of these suggestions lend credence to previous reports that a break in compatiblity with older applications and a new user interface would be Vienna's flagship features. Now all we've got to do is wait (and hope that the changes aren't too radical.)

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Vista got delayed over a year of the expected release date, I wouldn't expect it from Vienna. Plus Vista still has lots of bugs, just using things on my laptop, it has noticable bugs that are frustrating. They will be working harder on service packs for Vista first, I'm sure.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I havent seen any bugs but it seems to vary alot laptops seem to get them much more than desktops and im not entirely sure why. the vista service pack isnt bug fixes its XP compatibilty fixes(which some might call a bug).

MS are moving to a shorter release cycle vienna wont be as different from vista as vista was from XP they are trying to get back to getting updated OSs out faster to help reduce the costs and try and help the malware problems which only get worse as malware writers get more used to the OS so shorter release cycles should help.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
But the service pack overall does fix any bugs within the OS, right?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It will fix some bugs but bugs are fixed on an ongoing basis there are only at the moment something like 30 or 40 bugs in the whole OS maybe a little less, most bugs that people experience are compatibility issues with hardware and software not so much bugs.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Well vista users better rev up their updating skills :whistling:
http://www.tgdaily.c...ecurity_update/
Let the updates begin! :blink:
I can hadly wait to do 100+ updates when I get vista in april :help:
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
you do realize that the article says that none of the updates are for Vista, right?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Good point, you really should read the articles before you post here and try to be funny.

l0st.en.Drago

l0st.en.Drago

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I found this a good read:
http://www.windowsvienna.com/ I guess they changed it to Windows 7.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I heard about Windows 7 too..

but i heard it wasn't coming out for another 4-5 years and it was going to be a BIG jump. just like XP-Vista

I don't think MS would release another COMPLETE OS right after Vista due to all the problems it's already having with the said compatibility issues.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

I heard about Windows 7 too..

but i heard it wasn't coming out for another 4-5 years and it was going to be a BIG jump. just like XP-Vista

I don't think MS would release another COMPLETE OS right after Vista due to all the problems it's already having with the said compatibility issues.

*yawn*

"News" that Microsoft is working on the next version of windows and that it will be different from the last version is a lot like news that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Also, MS didn't have any compatibility problems, the hardware manufacturers did. Microsoft does not write drivers for other people's hardware. You want to blame someone for compatibility problems, blame the person who took forever to release drivers for the hardware you have.