Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Ram

• Please log in to reply

Moose78

Moose78

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Just bought a pny ddr 400 512mb for my dell dimension 4600, once I"ve installed the piece, is there anything else that I need to do once I restart the machine??

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Once you install the RAM, close the case, plug everything back in and then restart. The BIOS will recognize the new RAM. Once you login to your user name, it would be a nice idea to make sure everything works right. Please do this for me...

Click on Start, and then click on Run. In the Run box, type dxdiag and press enter.

A small gray window might appear. Click on the Yes button.

You will now see a large gray window appear, which is showing you your computer information. Look down near the bottom where it says Memory: ... Does it show the right amount?

Keep in touch :whistling:

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Thanks, and once I get everything done, I'll post the results.........hopefully good as I've NEVER done this sort of thing before :whistling:

Edited by Moose78, 11 February 2007 - 09:37 AM.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Yep, went good!! And on the first time to, notice a big improvement, went from 256 to 768, thanks for the info!!