Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
o2mcgovem - in answer to your earlier question, you would need to select the Scaleo 600 DDR option in Crucials memory advisor.

According to Crucial, your system can take up to 4 modules of 1GB each (giving a max of 4GB in total).
The figures 123runner gave you are different (512MB/2GB). He has got these figures by looking up the actual motherboard in Crucials memory advisor. Normally I would expect this method to produce the same results but in this case, it clearly doesn't. The only explanation I can think of for this, is that Everest has detected the motherboard incorrectly maybe. Of course, I could be wrong....

Either way, both results say you have 4 slots (so 2 empty ones). The discrepancy is only with the maximum capacity of module your system will support.

Advertisements

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
:S

"Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot. Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory."

So I can have 4GB of RAM in total, with 1GB in each? Or a total of 2GB and 512MB in each? Just to make sure, now. (Getting the wrong upgrade would be something typical of me.)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi o2mcgovem

Apologies for the delay in replying. Think I've found the answer to your question though....
Theres a bit of info on Crucials website that I missed the first time around. According to Crucial, the amount of ram your system can support depends on the processor you have. If you have a Pentium 4, then the total amount of ram is 4GB (4 x 1GB). However, if you have a Celeron cpu, then the total is 2GB (4 x 512MB).

Hope this helps. If your not certain which cpu you have, try running Everest again & look for the cpu specs.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I have an Intel Pentium 4, and now I am seriously confused.

I found the catalogue that I ordered the computer from the other day while I was looking for something...

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.6GHz with HT Technologies
Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM
Max Memory: 2GB (using 4x512MB, upgrades must be done in pairs)
Hard Disk: 80GB (7200rpm)

It goes on with more details, but is it right about the max memory bit? They may have just made a mistake? :S

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
To be honest, you're not the only one who's confused now!

Basically, I don't know whether the system can support 2GB or 4GB so I reckon you'd be best off assuming it's 2GB. If you add another 2 x 512MB modules to your existing 2 x 256mb ones, that still gives you plenty of memory. :whistling:

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Right. Okay then. Do you think it'd run alright with an extra 2 x 265MB? That'd be 1GB. That's not so bad is it? It's going to be running Vista (Premium), 1GB is double the minimum that it needs.

Gosh, this is complicated.

Thanks for all the help. :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Yes, another 2 x 256MB should be fine. 1GB of ram should be enough to run even Vista.

Re. Vista minimum system requirements....

Lets just remind ourselves what the minimum system requirements were for XP Pro :
RAM : 64MB (min) 128MB (recommended)
CPU : 233MHz (min) 300MHz (recommended)

Have you ever seen XP Pro running on a Pentium2 233MHz with 64MB of memory? No, neither have I and I wouldn't want to either.

My point is, whatever MS state the min. memory requirements to be for an OS, double it & use that as your minimum value. Therefore, 1GB for Vista should be fine, like I said, but I wouldn't want to drop below it. :whistling:

Edited by Samm, 09 March 2007 - 06:59 PM.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
:whistling: Thanks! Okay, I'm gonna buy the RAM pretty soon so I'll post back with anything worth posting.

I've seen Windows 2000 running on those requirements and I'll admit it wasn't pretty. I had to use that laptop for a year, too. We still have a few computers at college running Windows XP on specs similar to those. They put them in the rooms where the teacher's old and probably won't ever bother turning it on... every classroom has to have a computer though.

Anyway, once again thanks. (Oh, and I totally agree with your "From:" thing.)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Cheers!

Let us know how you get on :whistling: