Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Widescreen Monitor

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
First off, I wasn't sure which section to post this problem in, so if this is the wrong one, please direct me to the proper one.

Anyways, I recently got a new monitor, a 19" acer widescreen. I dont know if this will help or not, but I think the model number is AL1916W.

The problem is, everytime I log on to windows, or go into a game, or go back to the desktop from the game. I get the following message:
"Auto Config
Please Wait"
and the screen kinda shakes. I didn't really mind it at first, but its becoming pretty annoying. Especially if I am playing a game, and have to minimize a couple times for whatever reason, it auto configs everytime I go in and out of the game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if I'm lacking in specifics somewhere, just let me know :whistling:.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the monitor have an option to set it manually, or turn auto config off

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
It could, I'm not sure where those options would be located though..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at the row of buttons on the monitor, menu is most likely to have the option

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Theres a button to make it do the auto config thing, but theres no menu or section to change it to manual.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I had to search carefully on my new monitor (not an Acer) and I found a Lock/Unlock Settings section. BTW, I would check Acer.com for the latest drivers too.

Ron

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Where exactly were the settings? in the menu thats on the actual moniter? I'll try getting those drivers as well.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have the same monitor, exactly... There are no drivers for it, it just uses plug and play monitor MS default drivers - works flawlessly though. It's because the screen is widescreen and its adjusting to the proper resolutions. If you play games, make sure they are set to the proper resolution (1440x900), and the desktop also must be running at 1440x900.

Posted Image

Some games though, don't support wide screen resolutions, so it will have to auto adjust back to the desktop anyway. In the games that you can, try to set a widescreen resolution, the settings have to be 16:10 1440x900. Counter-Strike Source and other Steam games have this option btw.

Edited by SuperSam, 11 February 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Nutts. So that means theres no real solution to this problem?
Although thanks for the answer, at least now I know.

BTW, how or why are there two display dealy things under your settings. I only have the one.

thanks again.

Edit: Nutts battlefield 2 doesn't seem to have those settings either. its really the only game I play.

Edited by Zylocks, 11 February 2007 - 07:24 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Some people have problems with Windows PnP drivers.

The Epinions page under drivers section mentions something about Windows PnP vs. the Acer driver. Optionally, you could email tech support at link I gave you.

My menu put the Settings to Lock/Unlock under OSD. There are three buttons on my monitor. One for menu/select,and two (+/-) to navigate. Online manual for your monitor AL 1916W in PDF. Driver here.

When you set up your monitor settings, did you exit directly with the Exit selection or have you just let the Autosettings continue as it came from the factory? If you don't exit properly, your own settings will not be saved.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 February 2007 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hrm, so there is a driver then.. interesting. I also have the OSD option in my menu, although under it there is no lock or unlock. Theres H. Position V. Position and OSD Timeout. Which just messes around withe the little box.

As for the driver, I'm kind of embarassed to say that I dont know what to do with the files. Usually I dont have any problems. After I downloaded it from the site, I extracted 3 files. One that windows could not identify, one was a setup information file thing in notepad. And the last one was called a security Catalog. I didn't really know what to do when opening it.

Sorry about the hassle, and thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it an .inf file

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Yes, the setup information, notepad one is.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Right click the monitor, click update driver, click have disc, will choose from a location, browse to the inf file, click it, click open

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hrm, when I go to install it, it says "the software has not passed the windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows xp" it then gives me a choice to continue anyways or stop.

Should I just continue anyways? Thought I might as well ask, instead of just hunkering through, better safe then sorry.