Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CHM not working [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

mers

mers

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello, im running XP SP2 Pro and for some time my CHM files are just showing as blank?

I have the MS script center, the index side is fine but when clicking a link the right hand side stays blank.
This is the same for numerous other CMH files.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to check certain dlls needed for displaying these files or is there a CHM exe?

Its very annoying as help files dont work and the only change i have made is to my uxtheme.dll, im running a 3rd party theme but even when switching back to luna, no difference.

Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by mers, 19 February 2007 - 12:12 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Several cures have been documented:

1. Right-click any CHM file and choose "Properties". Click "Advanced" under the 'General' tab. If you now see a button labelled "Unblock", click it. If no such button then there's a different reason for the problem.

2. Double click a chm file, there is a window pops up: Open File - Security Warning: Do you want to open…? and remove the tick before “Always ask before opening this file”, then click ok.

3. A free utility called "MJ's Help Diagnostics" from here:
http://helpware.net/...s/index.htm#MJs

All 3 methods have worked for different people depending on the actual cause.

mers

mers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
To help anyone else who might be having the same problem, i worked out what it was:

I had installed Notepad++ and during the install it asks if i would like it to act as the default HTML viewer, loving this app i said yes. This is the problem as it caused some kind of conflict causing it to not view correctly. I uninstalled Notepad++, reinstalled but said no to the option so now its fine.