Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How's the Linux Ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I'm interested to get a new OS for my (old, stupid) computer, which happens to be the Ubuntu. No, I'm not gonna install Vista, this crap is too old for it. So, for Linux users out there, what did ya think bout this Linux? :whistling:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ubuntu is good you cant get far wrong its probably got the best help for beginners the ubuntu forums are active and helpful and they have a short upgrade cycle and the improvements each generation are great. Cant think of anything bad about it.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Ubuntu is brilliant for the home user, but the only thing I don't like is the colour scheme, and just the Gnome desktop environment overall. I'd advise Kubuntu, it's made by Ubuntu, and is Ubuntu, just with a different desktop environment. I use it on my spare hard drives, its very good.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Ubuntu is fly-before-you-buy,but completely FREE, it comes on a disk which loads the OS into memory so you can try it. If you like what you see you can choose to install it. You can download the .iso from many sources, including the Ubuntu website, or order a free CD copy.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Keep in mind when you run in live mode that its not quite as fast and the resolution wont be too high because you can only use default drivers in a live run. Colour scheme is a little strange earth tones aren't the usual for an OS but i would just get Ubuntu and follow the guides to install new desktop environments default is gnome with the earth tone colour scheme(you can change the colour scheme) but allot of people prefer KDE which is the default in Kubuntu but i prefer to install it later and you just pick the interface when you login, i also like the enlightenment desktop manager its very nice and functional.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I personally don't care for Ubuntu but the core is very good. SimplyMepis is based on the core and excellent. Lately I've been using PCLinuxOS and have it installed on two PCs and a laptop. It just works.Good support forums and a large repository of software to choose from. It's one of themost user friendly I've used. Runs well from live cd and the installer is very good.

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
And what's the diff between Kubuntu and Ubuntu? @.@

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The default desktop environments are different(kinda like explorer is the environment for windows) Ubuntu has Gnome which is good but isnt everyones favourite but there is nothing at all wrong with it i actually like it. Kubuntu uses KDE which is more popular in other distros, its nice clean and cool colours the two environments also have a few slightly different apps well at least names of apps the only real difference is the looks and layout like Kate is just like Gedit (the linux equivalent of notepad but its way better than notepad).

It doesnt really matter which you get although i would just get standard ubuntu then just install KDE(tonnes of guides) takes 5 mins and personally i like to change from gnome to KDE to enlightenment every now and again.

Edited by warriorscot, 13 February 2007 - 07:25 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
You can infact install both desktop environments on any distro, but it does get a bit confusing for the novice when changing between.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
KDE is better looking than GNOME to me. but Kubuntu doesn't seem to handle KDE well. I tested it on a machine and it felt clumsy to me compared to the SimplyMepis implementation.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not really confusing you just select the manager you want from a drop down list.