Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarts while online

• Please log in to reply

jessijones69

jessijones69

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
:whistling: Hello I just got a new DSL internet service. I installed it last week. Since then everytime I
surf the net my computer restarts. I called fastaccess technical support they said call gateway. So I called
gateway they said I have a virus and that I am fixing to lose all my files when I reinstall windows 98.
:help: I don't know what to do because I have things I don't want to lose. I reinstalled windows 98 about 3 months ago and I didn't have this problem until I got the DSL. I had to uninstall norton to get bellsouth internet security and anti-virus etc. :blink: Can anyone :help: me?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

jessijones69

jessijones69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:blink: Hello again I didn't get a response in the hijack forum yet but I did find out that the bellsouth
internet security that I installed (which uninstalled my norton) conflicted with my windows 98 version on my computer. So after I uninstalled the BIS I got avast for home users I am still having some difficulity when I surf the web but things are better. Does anyone know if there is a reason I am not getting a response on the hijack? I know you are all very busy and I appreciate any help I get here. Thank You ALL! :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey whats up jessejones.

I am pretty good with windows 98 as I owned a win9x system for about 10 years.

O.K lets get started with this.

Reboot.. keep tapping F8 intill you see a menu. Choose command prompt. You should now see a C:\ prompt. I want you to type the following into the prompt then press enter.

scanreg /fix

Let me know if this helps :whistling:

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 22 February 2007 - 07:47 PM.

jessijones69

jessijones69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:whistling: Hello i did the scanreg/fix thingy. When it finished I got C:\> and didn't know what to type so
I restarted my comp. The second time I ran the scanreg/fix it had an unfixable file and still got the C:\>
I can't get back to my windows 98 so I restarted again. So can you tell me what to put C:\>(here). :blink:
Thank You.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try this for me please

DO the same thing on how to get to the command prompt, but type this:

scanreg /restore

jessijones69

jessijones69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
:blink: Hello I did what you suggested plus ran a scandisk in MSDOS mode and fixed a couple of things
running much smoother. I am still getting "this program has formed an illegal operation and is shutting
down" on some sites but I can at least surf the web. Sorry the area I live in was offline all weekend. So
today is the first time I was able to repost. Thank you sooooo much. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hey jesse

Glad to hear it worked out for you :whistling:

By the way, do you use Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer seems to have problems on Windows 98 machine and they discontinued their life cycle policy for windows 95,98,and ME. See Here.
I would suggest downloading Firefox from here