Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Computer & Frozen Mouse

• Please log in to reply

bmike

bmike

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Over the last 2 weeks my computer has become very slow and the mouse will all of a sudden freeze up and the unfreeze after about 10-15 seconds.

I have run Spybot and Ad-Aware and both report no problems. I have defragged all drives and checked the drives to see if they were in DMA or PIO mode. I have tried running resetdma.vbs but it reports no Windows drivers to change. I have tried manually resetting to DMA by editting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Currentcontrolset\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 and deleting the MasterIdDatachecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum values and rebooting.

Nothing that I have done has helped.

My system is:
AMD64 3500 CPU
1Gb DDR2 533 RAM
200Gb SATA HD
160Gb IDE USB External HD
NVIDIA GForce 7600GT 256Mb Ram Graphics Card
DVD Writer
CD ROM

The only software that has recently been upgraded is Winzip (10 to 11) Getright (6.0Beta to 6.1) and Adobe Reader (6 to 7). My antivirus is AVG Free Edition and I have AVG Anti-Spy running together with ZoneAlarm Pro.

Please could you help me.

Thanks
BMike

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Try running CCleaner, link is in my sig.

bmike

bmike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Super Sam

I have downloaded and run CCleaner. No significant improvement.

One thing I neglected to put in my initial request. If I open task manager with no other Apps open, CPU Usage runs at between 5% -10% and will then spike to 100% usage for no apparent reason, also at the time that all this started there was a tremendous amount of internet download activity in the background, permanently connected to internet via broadband, no mail being received and could not identify what was causing the activity.

Thanks

BMike