Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Passwords

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi, networking isn't my kind of thing, so I'm unsure if this is possible. I've got an OfficeJet G55 All-In-One and wanted to know if it's possible to set up some sort of password or something so only those 'in the know' can use it to print? This is because kids keep printing off pictures of Spongebob and football players which is costing me a fortune in ink, so I want their access withdrawn so only me and my flatmate can print. Theres three servers (XP Home 'servers') - mine, and the two girls - but the kids have access to all our accounts, but we don't want to password protect our servers as the kids do need computer access at times.
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I believe this might be possible by giving the printer access under an account that is password protected and supplying the alternate creditable from the machine(s) you do want to print on, but this isn't guaranteed. Apparently this is possible in Windows 98 and ME, but it looks like XP wise its only available in XP Pro (assuming it is available), as there's next to no real need for it in a home environment.

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Thanks man, I'll give it a try in the morning:)