Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lose Internet

• Please log in to reply

ljd6969

ljd6969

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After restarting my computer or disabling and then re-enabling my network connection my computer works great surfing the web. I have a cable modem. After a period of time, could be a few hours or a few days, i lose the ability to load web pages, i get the error msg "cannot find server". AOL still runs fine as well as my remote desktop into my office, but IE 6.0 and FireFox will not load almost any web pages. I then have to reboot or disable and re-enable the network connection again. I have looked into as many things as i can think of to correct this. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

Advertisements

Alaster

Alaster

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Maybe it's your firewall? Check to see if they are allowed to acess the internet.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Maybe try a upgrade? Upgrade IE to 7 and firefox to 2.1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The reason IE and FF won't connect, is because when installed, AOL creates it own version of IE and uses that to connect to the Internet. It also screws up all network settings and no other browser will work to connect to the Internet except AOL's browser. With a high-speed connection, you DO NOT need AOL installed. Uninstall absolutely everything related to AOL in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel and then reboot your computer and your connection will be fine.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 15 February 2007 - 05:50 AM.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

The reason IE and FF won't connect, is because when installed, AOL creates it own version of IE and uses that to connect to the Internet. It also screws up all network settings and no other browser will work to connect to the Internet except AOL's browser. With a high-speed connection, you DO NOT need AOL installed. Uninstall absolutely everything related to AOL in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel and then reboot your computer and your connection will be fine.

Fenor

Umm... I us AOL 9.0 and FF and IE all work fine... there is a new AOL maybe he needs to upgrade the AOL?

The new version is called AOL 9.0 VR

Download the new version here::

http://downloads.cha...windowsproducts

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
AOL is crap software. All it does is completely mess up all your Internet settings and even after you uninstall it, those settings are not reverted back to the way they were before AOL was installed. You DO NOT NEED AOL INSTALLED ON A BROAD BAND CONNECTION, unless you want your connection to run at the speed of low-grade DSL.

Fenor

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

AOL is crap software. All it does is completely mess up all your Internet settings and even after you uninstall it, those settings are not reverted back to the way they were before AOL was installed. You DO NOT NEED AOL INSTALLED ON A BROAD BAND CONNECTION, unless you want your connection to run at the speed of low-grade DSL.

Fenor

But see I dont use AOL as a browser, I use it for a messager and email. I think thats why people use it,not only to for browser.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
But you don't need to install the ENTIRE AOL package to get messenger and you can easily configure Outlook Express, T-Bird or any other email client to check AOL email. One simple couple MB file for Messenger is ALL YOU NEED TO INSTALL. Installing everything else is not necessary
Fenor

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

But you don't need to install the ENTIRE AOL package to get messenger and you can easily configure Outlook Express, T-Bird or any other email client to check AOL email. One simple couple MB file for Messenger is ALL YOU NEED TO INSTALL. Installing everything else is not necessary
Fenor

Alright I see now. Hopefully that will fix his/her problem.

ljd6969

ljd6969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I dont use AOL as my web browser, i use FF and IE 6.0. I have AOL on my laptop and work PC and everthing on those work fine. My IE and FF work great for a day or 2...sometimes more, sometimes less but all of a sudden it seems as if IE and FF just hang...says web site found, waiting for reply then i get the message, Cannot find server. at that time i can still access my work through remote desktop as well as log on to AOL, I can browse through AOL at that time also. I then need to either restart the system or go into network connections and disable then enable the connection. I appreciate the feedback and have checked most of the things written. Thanks to everyone

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I dont use AOL as my web browser, i use FF and IE 6.0. I have AOL on my laptop and work PC and everthing on those work fine. My IE and FF work great for a day or 2...sometimes more, sometimes less but all of a sudden it seems as if IE and FF just hang...says web site found, waiting for reply then i get the message, Cannot find server. at that time i can still access my work through remote desktop as well as log on to AOL, I can browse through AOL at that time also. I then need to either restart the system or go into network connections and disable then enable the connection. I appreciate the feedback and have checked most of the things written. Thanks to everyone

I believe I already told you why this happens. If you keep AOL installed you will continue to have this problem. Choice is yours...

Fenor

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! The comments have been removed. That is something that is absolutely NEVER allowed here, not even by staff members. :whistling: Advice is never to be given via pm or email...nor do we allow remote connections to users. We are here to help with Security. This person does not know you...why then would they trust you to connect to their computer?!

If you have any other questions about this matter, please PM me directly. It will not be discussed here.

Kat
GeeksToGo Administrator

Edited by Kat, 15 February 2007 - 07:05 PM.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
oo I think It might be his Firewall????? Just an idea.. what do you tihnk?

Who made your Firewall? Norton....?

Edited by Cameron2010, 15 February 2007 - 06:53 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
It is not the firewall. :whistling: Fenor has already given the proper advice in this situation. Uninstall AOL. All you need is the AIM program, and to configure OE to get your AOL mail. Also, you can log into the AOL site to get your mail from FF or IE...without having the entire junk program installed.

Leaving all of it on your computer will continue to cause you problems.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

oo I think It might be his Firewall????? Just an idea.. what do you tihnk?

Who made your Firewall? Norton....?

Never in my life have I seen a firewall that hates everything but AOL. LOL Sorry but I almost fell outta my chair when I read that.

Fenor