Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC is very slow to start up and shut down

• Please log in to reply

doublexd

doublexd

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I recently had malware and managed to get it all cleaned up with the help of geeks to go. However now I find that the PC takes forever to start up, usually about 3-5 minutes, programs take a long time to run (even loading windows) and the shut down procedure seems to be taking about 3 minutes also. It's getting very frustrating!

I run ATF cleaner regularly, have no viruses or malware. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did it work better for a time after it was resolved? I would suggest posting a new hijackthis log in the malware forums just to check it out. Also ask one of our trusted staff about what you can do to prevent adaware. Something that you could use your computer for regularly such as download music could be reintroducing your computer to malware on a regular basis.

Also I would look through your startup list and cancel out all programs you dont absolutly need for startup. For example you could use AIM a lot so you have it set to startup. This could be removed from startup list and manually started up whenever you want to use it. After you have cleaned up your list of startup programs i suggest WinPatrol for keeping your startup list clean. Hope that helps.

Edit: Also printers usually add a ton of stuff to startup i would experiment with enabling/disabling printer programs to see what is absolutly needed to use your printer.

Edited by Titan8990, 15 February 2007 - 08:10 AM.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Some suggestions to follow:

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Open Device Manager>>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>>Primary IDE Channel>>Properties>>Advanced Settings. Make sure your current transfer mode is DMA and not PIO.

doublexd

doublexd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I haven't downloaded any music and don't usually have any printers running. I've gone through and cleaned up the start-up menu but it is still very slow. I went to change the Device manager settings to DMA, however it is set on "DMA when available" but is running on PIO. I'm still not having any luck.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Right click on Primary IDE Controllers and hit uninstall then reboot your computer and it will reset to DMA mode.

doublexd

doublexd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Fabulous. That seems to have done the trick. Thanks for your help. :whistling:

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You are welcome!! :whistling: